G12 GEARBOX REMOVAL

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
wayne fields

G12 GEARBOX REMOVAL

Post by wayne fields »

Hi all,can anyone tell me if i can remove the gearbox without having to remove the motor. it is a 1964 with AMC MOTOR AND AMC BOX.

REGARDS WAYNE.
moley

G12 GEARBOX REMOVAL

Post by moley »

i did but i had to remove the primarys, then wiggle the right engine plate out ( took several attempts ) but managed it in the end. andy
wilko

G12 GEARBOX REMOVAL

Post by wilko »

Do you really need to remove it? You can replace everything insitu unless you have to weld the cases. Dugless
wayne fields

G12 GEARBOX REMOVAL

Post by wayne fields »

Hi Guys, i think i may try the wriggle out method first , as my eyesight isn't the best on insitu jobs, gearbox is leaking cannot see where from so its time for a complete strip-clean and overhaul. thanks for the reply's
regards Wayne
wayne fields

G12 GEARBOX REMOVAL

Post by wayne fields »

Hi all , have found the leak, at the gearbox oil seal clutch side. now the question. can this seal be replaced by removal of the clutch and chaincase etc, also the bearing
regards Wayne
Don Madden

G12 GEARBOX REMOVAL

Post by Don Madden »

Hi! You do have to remove the clutch & chaincase as well as sprocket & the collar or distance piece on the shaft. Then pry out the seal. Inspect the sprocket for wear.

The collar is likely to have a groove worn where it contacts the lip of the seal. Sometimes you can merely reverse the collar to position an unworn surface at the seal, otherwise, replace it.

Cheers, Don.
wayne fields

G12 GEARBOX REMOVAL

Post by wayne fields »

thanks Don. i am into it now,collor has ring. i will replace it along with the seal
cheers Wayne.