???????

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Merlin

???????

Post by Merlin »

Took my G3LS out on Sunday for a longer and faster run than normal
i.e. 45 mph sustained for 4 miles,then total cut out without any warning
coasted to stop, quick look over started first kick returned home the long way 8 miles never missed a beat.Any ideas[?][:I]

Chemists do it with test tubes
tibsy

???????

Post by tibsy »

exactly the same thing happened to me sunday morning with my 18s, only i know what the problem was-IT SEIZED. rebore and piston only 130 miles ago and i sort of fast tracked the running in.
30mph for 30 mile
40mph for next 30 miles
50mph for the next 30 miles, and it was feeling so good[8D] that next time out i run it up to 60mph and beyond and suddenly it felt as if i`d run into a sand dune![:(]
i whipped the clutch in and coasted to a halt and after a couple of minutes she started up and i gingerly rode home.
will take off barrel and inspect for damage at the weekend.
hope yours didn`t seize as well.
tom
lawrence

???????

Post by lawrence »

I believe AMC recommended 30mph for 500 miles then 40mph for another 500 and after that slowly increase the speed only going for max after 1500 to 2000 miles and then only in short burts.

Hope there isn't too much damage [:(]

Lawrence [}:)]
Biscuit
Deceased

???????

Post by Biscuit »

Lawrence, the recommendations you quote for running in are RUBBISH.
Within reason road speed does not matter, the whole object is to maintain the engine turning easily at moderate revs, and always under a light load. Thumping up a slight incline in top gear at 30 mph will do more damage than running down hill at 50mph with a feathered throttle. The rider should feel for his machine, have an empathy with it, and understand what it is doing. Anybody who doesn't have this empathy should buy an automatic Euro-box.

Tom, you should have known better.

Merlin

???????

Post by Merlin »

Thank you Alan I have always thought the same way,rigid speeds do not give the full picture,the bikes seems free enough so I am wondering about fuel?Will keep you updated[:(]

SPRIDDLER

???????

Post by SPRIDDLER »

To quote from the running in guidance from my G3LS Owners' Manual - "Don't let your engine get hot and bothered, and don't race the engine - it may impress your friends but your machine won't like it"
How quaint.
I'm using a borrowed barrel and piston after mine seized the week before the Jampot. Covered 600 miles with it so far. Bit of slap and tickle at the top but the big end's fine. I will get an exchange barrel and piston from the Spares club but at £150 it'll have to wait until I get my winter fuel allowance. I've no idea why it seized - not weak mixture, retarded timing etc, and therefore cannot be sure it won't hapen again. Fun though, perhaps.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
lawrence

???????

Post by lawrence »

quote:Originally posted by Alan Jacobs

Lawrence, the recommendations you quote for running in are RUBBISH.
Tom, you should have known better.

Why so tactful all of a sudden Alan? [:D]

Lawrence [}:)]
Biscuit
Deceased

???????

Post by Biscuit »

It was tactful Lawrence, 'cos I noted it was a quotation and not your own thoughts (I hope). Tom? well 60+ after 90 miles or was it 130? seems to have his sums wrong as well as his running in technique. I'm out all day tomorrow, so I won't need to duck!!. Oh, by the way Lawrence, what are 'burts'?

Merlin

???????

Post by Merlin »

They are like spurts but different sort of[:D][:D]

Merlin

???????

Post by Merlin »

Thank you all for your opinions being a simple bucket and spade chemist will try the run again on Sunday[:I]