Changing Oil

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
itma

Changing Oil

Post by itma »

as long as you have not moved the internals via the kickstart or any other bits stick it back in, you may be ok.
use a flat ring spanner or take the pipe off, go easy with the sockets or you`ll end up with stripped threads, theres probably no oil in there any way .
welcome to the wonderful world of old bikes.......[:(]
the best advice I can give you as a novice ......
IF IT AIN`T BROKE DON`T FIX IT[:D]
Biscuit
Deceased

Changing Oil

Post by Biscuit »

Roger, don't even breathe on it until you have ALL the available documentation. Oil changes certainly do not come under the 'if it aint broke don't fix it, heading.

itma

Changing Oil

Post by itma »

He`s on the way to breaking it though Alan, I should also have said when in doubt seek advice. Old oil better than none.[even multigrade[}:)]]
The plunger indexes your gears Roger, if you can get it back in you have a 50/50 chance of it being OK as long as nothing else has moved.
when you put it back in give the bike a quick run to check that all the gears and the neutral are were they should be. If not you`ll be looking for advice on gearbox work.
Sockets are fine if you are used to spannerwork, I find that people tend to overdo the tightening bit, thats why mending stripped threads is such big business. There are torque settings availiable, but common sense and a bit of caution are all thats needed.
Study the pictures in the parts list if its illustrated, it`ll tell you a lot.
.[:)]
Biscuit
Deceased

Changing Oil

Post by Biscuit »

Hi Roger, what bike are speaking of, or have I missed it. Hope you haven't got us talking BSA or something!!!!!!!

Merlin

Changing Oil

Post by Merlin »

Alan I would never have thought you a racist tut tut.[:)]

Chemists do it with test tubes
moley

Changing Oil

Post by moley »

hi roger

YOURE CORRECT ABOUT THE DRAIN PLUG FOR THE PRIMARIES BEING IN A BLINKIN INCONSIDERATE PLACE RIGHT VEHIND THE EXHAUST..SOMETIMES I CAN CAN GET A SMALL SCREWDRIVER AT AN ANGLE BUT GENERALLY I POP THE EXHAUST OFF...

lawrence

Changing Oil

Post by lawrence »

Or fit a siamese single exhaust ;o)

Lawrence [}:)]