sourcing a timing gear puller

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Steve Dempster

Post by Steve Dempster »

Hi all -

I'm sure someone knows a quick answer to this so can save me time and hair-pulling! My G12 needs re-timing and I need a puller to remove the pinion from the end of the mag. Did this before so I know how it works, but the puller was a borrow and now not available. Do Jampot do them? I looked and searched but couldn't find one. Can anyone help - I'm really looking to buy one rather than borrow but hey if anyone's willing.....!

Many thanks.
Regards
Steve Dempster
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Steve, The puller I believe you are referring to is “015273 EXTRACTOR; TIMING & MAG GEAR” and is available through JSL, have a look on the “Twin oil pumps, magneto and dynamo” drawing page of your parts book to confirm if it looks like what you need.
Steve Dempster

Post by Steve Dempster »

Thanks Duncan - I tried all sorts of combos of 'timing gear' puller' etc - never thought of 'extractor'! You mention a parts book - I don't have one as such, just and AJS/Matchless twins handbook. Is the parts list available from JSL (I'm not yet a member there)?
Regards
Steve Dempster
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Steve, you need to take yourself off to “Christians Archives” - http://archives.jampot.dk/ - download the relevant spares list, and leave the man a tip.

The club/JSL will now sell to non members, see the “News” item from the 19th May - http://www.ajs-matchless.com/topic.asp? ... Title=News – it will cost you an additional £1 for Temporary Membership, but you should do yourself a favour and join as a full member, it is worth the fee just for the monthly “Jampot” magazine, additionally you would also be able to come down to Cornwall this weekend and camp in the rain at what must be the best owners club rally going.
Steve Dempster

Post by Steve Dempster »

Well that sounds good to me, it always rains when I go to Cornwall anyway!
Regards
Steve Dempster
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Have you seen the forcast Steve? Rain , rain and more rain, proper Cornish weather!!!
Steve Dempster

Post by Steve Dempster »

Ah, but I've just been out and stayed dry - I was even riding the bike! BTW TX to Duncan I can now source the bit I need. Next - clutch (different thread though).
Regards
Steve Dempster