Slipping G12 Clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
MartinL

Slipping G12 Clutch

Post by MartinL »

The clutch on my G12 is, I think, one of older design. There are four plates with friction material on them, with plain plates interspersed. The clutch basket/chainwheel is of the type with cork inserts.
The damn think slips! So far I have replaced the clutch plates with new, inspected the plain plates, which look OK, and renewed the three clutch springs. I have also tried tightening these springs down, and ensured the clutch is properly adjusted.

It still slips. Bugger.

So....these cork inserts in the chainwheel/clutch basket, could they be the reason? Although there is plenty of cork they are rather oily and glazed looking, they are also a loose fit in the chainwheel (I don't know whether that is significant but thought I would mention it).

So whaddya think? Could it be these inserts? I'm keen to try cheap solutions before trying to source a newer (and hopefully better) clutch. As a supplementary any pointers on where I can source replacement cork inserts?

TIA

Martin
gsneyd

Slipping G12 Clutch

Post by gsneyd »

The club spares scheme sells new plates with bonded friction pads at a very reasonable price. - Check it out.
Graham