Chaincase spacer

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
wattsup

Chaincase spacer

Post by wattsup »

For my 1949 G80s I have purchased all new studs and spacers. The spacer inside the chain case is 7/8" + the nut 3/8" which at 1 1/4" is too thick to allow the flanges top mate together. I will be using a Buckingham seal (when it arrives) Do I need to reduce the length of the spacer down the spacer?

itma

Chaincase spacer

Post by itma »

If need be alter the length of the spacer, just as importantly check the spacer behind the inner case; for more in depth waffle on this subject see previous mirth generating post,..... "tips for an oiltight chaincase"
Biscuit
Deceased

Chaincase spacer

Post by Biscuit »

At the risk of confusing matters, I have always thought this spacer, and found, this to be a long nut.

itma

Chaincase spacer

Post by itma »

On the earlier bikes like this, Alan, it was a nut and spacer, but the long nut is a much better idea, and often replaced the earlier set up.
..and as a AMC fan you should be well aquainted with the Colliers love of spacers .[:)]
wattsup

Chaincase spacer

Post by wattsup »

Thanks guys, I have put a shorter spacer in and it seems Ok [:)], one more question though. Does the spacer behind the rear half of the chaincase (part no. 010953) have a waher between the end of the spacer and the rear half of the chaincase, there is a "thin washer" listed in the parts book (part number STD 166). If so, how thin is thin?

Biscuit
Deceased

Chaincase spacer

Post by Biscuit »

I wouldn't worry about the washer David, but don't assume the spacer is the correct length. Having ensured that the chaincase faces are flat and fit together snugly, fit the inner one to the engine with the three bolts to crankcase, and measure the gap between the rear of the case and the engine plate, you may need to reduce the length of the spacer or add washers. This ensures the chaincase is not distorted when bolting up. Step one towards an oil tight case!

wrinklygit

Chaincase spacer

Post by wrinklygit »

Hello David,I have recently fitted a GB seal with great success,follow his simple instruction sheet that is supplied with the new seal,you may have to experiment with a couple of different spacers(I ended up using a copper sump plug washer)see also my post on chaincase oiling in the help section,my only source of incontinence is now from an overfilled g'box leaking thro the mainshaft & running down the back of the chaincase,another few more miles should see the level drop to its correct height,have fun,MIKE.