930 CLN.......AJS 250.........HELP

Where is that old bike?
giveup

Post by giveup »

I have inherited this bike from a brother, It came in many boxes,bags etc and is my first foray into two wheels as I didn't want it binned. Please accept my apogolies if I ask silly questions..........
Gearbox Number?.....G11480
Engine Number?.......60/14 5722 (V5 has engine number as..10167)

From the V5 this should be a 1961, AJS 250cc. Would all this tie in? What can anyone tell me? What colour would the tank, side panels and stripe on engine casing be.I am told by said brother it is a lightweight model. Is there anywhere local to Glasgow where I can get spares, tank,seat and handlebars so far. Thank you in advance for any help.
Chris Quinn

MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Good morning Chris,
As far as I can see the colours shown on the 1961 brochure are as follows: The petrol tank, side panels(tool box?) and flash on engine are a light blue, a Ford colour I beleive is a good match, the actual colour was quoted last year in one of the forums so you will need to do some looking back into past entries.
The petrol tank has two gold lines round it, one narrow the other about twice the width of the first, the narrow line being the inner line. The side panels have silver stripes on them with a silver AJS transfer in the centre.
This description has probably been as clear as mud, I could try to send you a copy of the picture which would be of far greater help.

MikeM.

giveup

Post by giveup »

Thanks Mike, Any help is much appreciated. I'm glad a Ford colour will do as this is going to be a tight budget overhaul rather than a restoration. What is the general consensus on cellulose paint for the frame?
Happy new year to all
Chris

bjork

Post by bjork »

Chris I don't think so many people look in here as in the tech help section,you may get more replies there. As for frame paint, Smoothrite in brush or spray form is hard to beat for a job on a budget and it's pretty tough too. I think the club dating scheme should be able to help with identifying what you've got. if you do have any silly questions keep them coming,there are plenty of silly answers available.

Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
giveup

Post by giveup »

Thanks Steve, I had forgotten about Smoothrite, methinks it may be a good choice.
Chris

silverarrow

Post by silverarrow »

I have used smoothrite on many occaisions and found excellent, not least no primer req'd, fast drying, rapid recoat etc.

See the result on the bike featured on the webpage http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wd-prewar-ajandmatchless It is 50% smoothrite finish.

Les Smith (silverarrow397) [:o)]
Keep smiling