Torque wrench settings - rear wheel - JSM 125

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
Richie616

Post by Richie616 »

Me again - sorry!

I have found myself doing a lot of chain adjustment lately and wondered if anyone knew what the torque wrench setting for the rear wheelnut is. No mention of it in the manual.

I also seem to be losing quite a bit of oil from one of the overflow pipes. Is this normal? I have had to top up the main sump twice now.

I wish they did a Haynes manual for these bikes!
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Can't help you with any of your queries but I believe there is a haynes manual for the modern AJS 125s.

It's called chinese 125s or something like that. Seen a few on ebay.
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

From the horses mouth:

Click for Haynes Manual
Corners like a Lego man
Richie616

Post by Richie616 »

Thanks for the assistance fellas, I did actually look at this manual in Halfords and it doesn't cover the JSM 125 model. Bah!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Richie
Frequent chain adjustment can be necessary due to a poor quality chain becoming stretched. Fit a new good quality one: Renold or Regina are two makes which are probably better quality than your Chinese chain. Of course it may be that you are not tightening the nut sufficiently and it's moving, slackening the chain.
As this a safety issue and I don't know the precise answer I can only offer general comments.
It depends upon the strength of the parts and forgive me if I'm teaching you suck eggs but too much force will either strip the thread, snap the 'bolt/rod/axle, whatever, or weaken the metal such that it will break later when riding.
Remember that you will exert more force with a longer spanner than a shorter one.
Many Chinese bikes are a common design. If the Haynes Manual has figures for a bike similar to yours (after all a certain sized bolt is a bolt of a certain size whatever make of bike it's on) then start with the torque figure given and check the tightness each time before you go out and take the appropriate spanner with you when you do go out.
Can you not go along to a local 'bike club and get some guidance there?
Seems a shame you don't have access to anyone with the knowledge (except a dealer, perhaps an MOT tester, but even then....... )
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

The club offered a JSM125 as part of the Centenary Raffle. I took the bike to AJS for preparation & PDI prior to handover to the winner. One of the jobs done was to replace the chain - enough said!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Voila, Richie!
I've just spoken to your local AJS dealer, Burnout (!) Motorcycles at Salisbury about my forthcoming camping trip abroad,.. blather, blah,... possible rear puncture, blather, French mechanics, blather, etc etc on my JSM 125.
Ken or Alan it was, who told me they use "a standard wheel nut setting".
"What's that?" I persevered
Long wait, then... "59Nm will do".
59 Newton-metres is equivalent to 43ft/lb in old Imperial force if you have a pre-metric torque wrench.
Happiness is tight nuts.

Later..
Sadly, it occurs to me that I should mention that I'm passing on this info in good faith and it's your responsibility to assure yourself that the info is correct.
What is the world coming to? Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 01 Jun 2011 10:56:28 AMEdited by - SPRIDDLER on 01 Jun 2011 3:26:47 PM
Richie616

Post by Richie616 »

Thanks all. It's due it's first service at 1600km so I was going to ask the blokes at Burnout bikes then anyway (That's where I bought mine from Spriddler!) Only done 700km though so a little while to go.

Are you really taking your 125 camping over to France? Tell me you are towing it behind a camper van or something!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
I was going to ask the blokes at Burnout bikes then anyway (That's where I bought mine from Spriddler!)
Yes, I know - we went through all that 'my local dealer' business when you posted a question about panniers/top boxes etc.
Cuh!
quote: Are you really taking your 125 camping over to France?

Err, ahem It was just a thought, but am having trouble getting the correct indicators conversion kit for driving on the right.Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 01 Jun 2011 9:27:07 PM