What could cause indicators to not work

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
Martyn.osborne

Post by Martyn.osborne »

I own a AJS regal raptor DD125e Mk2 one of the new AJS motorcycles and i have had a problem with the indicators. I have spoken to someone from AJS and they suggested replacing the indicator relay, which I have now done but they are still not working, does anyone know what else could be causing the problem?
Thanks, Martyn.
M.Osborne
Janet

Post by Janet »

Have the indicators never worked since you got the bike or have they stopped? The obvious place to look is for a blown fuse. After that, a bad earth can do it although, on most bikes I've got, each indicator earths locally, so only the one with the bad earth should be afffected. I'm assumiing that it is all of them so, as previous, it shouldn't simply be a blown bulb.
Can you get at the wiring? If so, I'd get a circuit tester and check all the way along to see where the current stops. For example, if it gets to the switch but not out the other side you know where the problem probably lies. You may have a loose connection. It can even happen that a wire has broken inside the insulation so you wouldn't see it.

Sorry I can't be specific but, with a few exceptions, the people here, me included, have the old AJS machines and don't know about the new ones.
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

Hello Janet,if the indicator relay has only 2 wires disconnect them and join them together.Then with the ignition on turn the switch to each side and the lamps should come on without flashing,this will show(I nearly wrote 'indicate' there)that the relay is at fault.If the lights do not come on check the fuses,if a fuse has blown then you will have to trace the fault.Could be a chafed wire or a short in one of the lamps.Happy flashing.Paul.
Martyn.osborne

Post by Martyn.osborne »

Hi, thanks for the replies, The indicators themselves work fine, I have just replaced the relay so that is fine and i have checked all the wires and they are fine unless as you said Janet the wires inside the insulation have broken, I understand that most people here have to older AJS bikes. On the bikes are there indicator resisters or something else? the fuse is also fine but still not working. It's starting to get on my nerves because I don't really have the finances to keep replacing things that it could be. Does anyone have suggestions?
My arms ache after a long journey with having to use arm signals to tell people what i intend to do
M.Osborne
orbinrangle

Post by orbinrangle »

Aching arms? Welcome the world us old bikers live in. I had a problem with some chinese pattern indicators I fitted to a Suzuki of mine. The fault lay entirely with the quality of wire used on them--it's very brittle and resulted in two breakages within the insulation on two different indicators. Your best bet is to get busy with the multimeter to see where your problem is.
R J Rawle
hawkes

Post by hawkes »

hi i have a 2 year old Chinese scooter that i bought to go moped racing at the bmf and the wiring was completely shot.Brittle and easily broken. The wiring on my '62 350 worked perfectly despite no fuses and a novel uninsulated twisty joint under the seat ?
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

My arms ache after a long journey with having to use arm signals to tell people what i intend to do

Join a Gym
Chemists do it with test tubes
itma

Post by itma »

you will have to get right back to basics and check each and every wire for continuity along its length I'm afraid.
Do not omit to double check each earth either.

if you have a suspect wire use a needle to pierce the insulation to pin point the break, I would put odds on that the monkey that made it has badly spliced two lengths of wire in any one length.

you don't seem to have had much help from the importer either for all their advertising BS.

Its a rotten intro to motorcycling and I am afraid just lends ammo to Jeremiah's like myself who have long forecast such problems.

keep plodding at it till you beat it,its just a mechanical device, good luck

PS
I see its a 2010 bike is there no guarantee on these things?Edited by - itma on 17 Jan 2011 11:31:25 AM
orbinrangle

Post by orbinrangle »

I see from the AJS website there should be a 1 year/10000 mile warranty against defective parts. If your bike is less than a year old I'd take it back to the dealer it came from and get them to sort it--you should not have to pay.
If you meet their warranty conditions, press for your rights--you'll be getting the dealers to improve and in the long run be doing other customers a favour. Word may even get back to China that they need to sort out some proper quality control.....
R J Rawle
keith bain

Post by keith bain »

hey to the issue about the indicators check the bulds see that they are all the same
Ride Safe Ride Hard Ride Free