Trouble refitting outer amc gear cover

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
rumpelstiltskin

Post by rumpelstiltskin »

1958 g3ls,AMC box.Please read my second post below.Edited by - rumpelstiltskin on 09 Sep 2010 6:53:46 PM
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Unless the 'box has been modified for lip type seals, they are o-rings fitted into grooves in the cover & the outer cover will have to be removed. It is a good idea to convert to lip seals but I have had success with the o-rings by fitting the largest one I can into the kickstart groove.

AMC Classic spares offers "quadroptic" rings that are better than the original type & fit into the same grooves without modification.

Cheers, Don.
rumpelstiltskin

It's the quadroptic ones i got from AMC.Im going to have to take the cover off again anyway as i have a problem.Im going to call these as they are called on the parts list.Im pretty sure i've got the foot change pawl the right way around resting against the gear ratchet(it accidentally turned as i was changing the pawl spring)Im sure it was the widest part of the foot change pawl goes against the ratchet?.I tested the gears when i loosely replaced the cover,it went into first fine then back to neutral.I was about to go on a ride tonight,selected first fine,when going into second the gearchange pedal went loosish now just moves up and down without the spring return action.I definetly put on the pawl spring the right way up.I did find it a bit of a fiddle replacing the outer gear cover and trying to get the change pawl to go into position correctly and slot into the ratchet.Are there any tricks to getting this right when fitting the cover,bike was in neutral all the time i was working on it
rumpelstiltskin

Wasn't expecting the flood of replies there!Anyway,turned out the problem was the 'new' pawl spring.Had the case on and off dozens of times wondering what was wrong,put the old one back in,perfect!
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

"quadroptic" worked for me. Getting the case on is a fiddle but I certainly find it easier with the gearchange lever back on to give a bit of control.

Also personally make use of a long slim screwdriver blade to keep the roller in place (can't remember the right name!).

Johnny B