g9 cams

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Biscuit
Deceased

g9 cams

Post by Biscuit »

There are competition cams available, by themselves they will be of little benefit. With the other alteration to go with them, ie carburation, exhaust and ignition timing the bike would probably be unusable on the road.

GSAX1

g9 cams

Post by GSAX1 »

If you want power then I don't think an AMC 500 twin is the right machine to start with
Don Madden

g9 cams

Post by Don Madden »

I have seen a 1961 G9 fitted with G11 barrels & pistons but using the original head. Strange combination but the cylinder pressure while kicking was in the normal range & should boost torque, although the pre-1960 piston crown shape is a mismatch for the 1960 head.

Cheers, Don.
Biscuit
Deceased

g9 cams

Post by Biscuit »

Jampot Spares Limited, see above 'Club' then 'Spares.

Duncan

g9 cams

Post by Duncan »

Sid, the club (JSL) can normally supply new camshafts for the twins the parts that you need are:

025084 INLET CAMSHAFT
025085 EXHAUST CAMSHAFT

Are your cam followers (018576 CAM FOLLOWERS; 1953-61) in good condition as they tend to wear more than the camshafts.
sid nz

g9 cams

Post by sid nz »

they looked ok but i guess it wouldn't hurt to do both at once as cams were quite worn. what about the bushes? are they supplied or shall i turn some up in the lathe? if so what material and what clearance?
thanks
sid
Duncan

g9 cams

Post by Duncan »

Sid, availability of parts, that’s the beauty of JSL.

I believe the bushes that you desire are:

010474 PLAIN BUSH; CAMSHAFT; (x2)
011654 FLANGED BUSH FOR CAMSHAFT; (x4)

A competent engineer (not me then!) should easily be able to manufacture some new ones but I do not have any details as to the material or dimensions, you will have to line ream the bushes once fitted to suit the cams and set the endfloat by having the flanged bushes slightly proud to start with.

If you are incredibly lucky you may get away with the existing bushes as the new cams will be a tighter fit, on second thoughts no one is that lucky.

It is very easy to spend other people’s money, if you do intend to replace the cam followers also check out the cam follower spindle (011626 CAM FOLLOWER SPINDLE) for wear, normally they will fall out if you heat the casings, they can become quite ridged.
sid nz

g9 cams

Post by sid nz »

thanks a lot for your help.
sid
sid
sid nz

g9 cams

Post by sid nz »

hi. just wondering hoping that someone in nz or australia has a set of cams for my 1960 g9?
much needed, as some hopeless twat dropped one of mine while at the cam grinding shop and broke the end off it.
thanks
sid
sid
Don Madden

g9 cams

Post by Don Madden »

Be sure any you but match the profile of yours. They changed the grind in 1957, I think, & there also some of the speed kit ones about. I have the correct ones, but in California. Cheers, Don.