Kickstarter Return

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
mgatherer

Kickstarter Return

Post by mgatherer »

I bought a 1959 AJS model 16 a year ago and in solving an oil leak from the gearbox kickstarter shaft fitted a new O ring where none was before. Unfortunately the kickstarter would then not return. So I fitted a new kickstarter return spring and eveything seemed OK until today when I decided to start the bike for the first time this year. The bike started immediately but the kickstarter would not automatically return. Looking though the gearbox clutch inspection cover I can see that the spring is still connected and if I pull the clutch in and push the kickstater quickly down it sometimes returns. Any ideas?
Biscuit
Deceased

Kickstarter Return

Post by Biscuit »

Welcome to the site. Have a read here first.

http://www.ajs-matchless.com/topic.asp? ... ral+Topics

mgatherer

Kickstarter Return

Post by mgatherer »

Interesting topic. In order to inspect spring I just went to drain oil on gearbox by loosening end screws and found kickstart returned easily with the screws not tight! Sounds as though I have an alignment problem.
Biscuit
Deceased

Kickstarter Return

Post by Biscuit »

I should imagine in that case, removing the dowels and experimenting with the location of the cover as the screws are tightened might solve the problem. However, would the case stay put under the thrust of the kickstarter?

lawrence

Kickstarter Return

Post by lawrence »

Silly thought but did you grease the O ring when you fitted it?
Biscuit
Deceased

Kickstarter Return

Post by Biscuit »

I modified a push/pull petrol tap with 'O' rings, worked fine no leaks at all until the petrol washed away the grease I had used to assemble it, which took two days, give or take a couple of hours - and it was SOLID, had to turn it off with a hammer.

mgatherer

Kickstarter Return

Post by mgatherer »

Never thought to grease the O ring. I am reluctant (fed up with)taking the gearbox cover off but did notice that the oil level was a little low (I put the gearbox oil back after draining but probably lost a little bit in the process). I am hoping that the increased level might lubricate the seal just enough to make life easy. I will take the bike out for a run asap (when the sun comes out) and see what happens. If problem persists I will take apart and grease! Thank you for some excellent input. I will let you know.
lawrence

Kickstarter Return

Post by lawrence »

You don't need to remove the cover. Just leave the bike on its side stand and run a few drops of oil around the kickstart spindle. Leave it a few minutes and repeat. Then kick the bike over a few times (in neutral with the clutch pulled in to make it easy). enough oil will go through to the seal to lubricate it. With use the oil in the gearbox will do the same thing but from the other side.

Better use monograde to keep the old codgers happy. (it doesn't matter really, I am just winding Ken up )Edited by - lawrence on 13 Mar 2008 6:52:56 PM
woster

Kickstarter Return

Post by woster »

I wonder if it is possible that as you re-assembled the kickstart shaft into the lever, you drove it in so tight that it is now binding. If there is no axel clearance (in and out), loosen the pinch bolt and give the shaft a tap to creat some. The other key is to find out why it is OK with the case screws slacked off. Sounds more like a pinching problem than alignment.
Dougie

Kickstarter Return

Post by Dougie »

As Ken has not responded I shall act as his spokesman...

Bllcks!!!

Consider yerself told, Lawrence.
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership