WD Carb Problem

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Dougie

WD Carb Problem

Post by Dougie »

Yes, it's me again!

Whilst my bottom end was at the engine builders I spent some time on the carb. I fitted new:
Needle
Needle jet
Slide
Float
Float needle
I thought that should frighten it into being a good carb but, No! The bloody thing leaks petrol like a colander would! I watched as petrol virtually poured out of the flange joint and the bottom of the carb body. Obviously, the flange is out of true but I think it is possibly more than that.

Incidentally, it is a 275 fitted to a G3 head. Has anybody got a good 275 or 276 going spare? I don't want to buy a new one 'cos these are bloody expensive! Or any useful advice, such as set fire to it?
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership
itma

WD Carb Problem

Post by itma »

I would suspect that if this much fuel is leaking that there is something wrong with the float needle cut off.
Take off the float chamber, make sure that the clip is in the float needle groove; turn it over and inside the union you will see the needle base; give this a light tap, AND THE WORD IS LIGHT TAP to seat it.
Also ensure that the top of the float needle is seated in the float chamber top, and not skewed.
Did you fit the washer that is between the jet block and the base nut?There is no need to replace these carbs, for all their faults there are not bad and will go on working, albeit badly for more or less ever.
Dougie

WD Carb Problem

Post by Dougie »

Ken

Explain that light tap bit again No, not just the "light" bit (although me and light tap don't go together ) but the whole thing. I have a top feed carb. Someone else has suggested lapping the needle in using solvol

Remember, I'm a numpty but you're my hero
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership
itma

WD Carb Problem

Post by itma »

I assumed you had a bottom fed float chamber.

You can lap the needle using solvol or brasso, .
why do you have a top feed?
do you have the correct replacement needle?
for a bottom feed chamber the drill is that
you need a bit of something like brass or hard wood dowel thin enough to fit into the union, a couple of smart taps, [not great hard wallops] should seat the new needle well enough to seal.
[Bet if you pit the old needle back it won't leak]