G3WO Girder forks

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
jeepman

G3WO Girder forks

Post by jeepman »

Does anyone know of a picture or a manual that shows the break down of the girder forks as fitted to a G3WO machine? I believe I have parts missing but I'm not sure what!!
I don't have a bakerlite type knob on the top of the steering head for starters but what else is missing I can't tell. I have a parts list but without a picture to x-ref. I struggle.
Cheers!
itma

G3WO Girder forks

Post by itma »

Best thing is to post a pic, of what you do have then I can tell you.
Dougie

G3WO Girder forks

Post by Dougie »

Jeepman

I have a bakerlite knob for the steering damper if you need one.

Funnily enough, my girders had no steering damper fitted either, but I now have a complete assy.
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership
jeepman

G3WO Girder forks

Post by jeepman »

Ken, Dougie,

I haven't stripped the forks down as they seemed o.k. I have attached some pics as they are.

Dougie, when you say you have the complete assy, is that the group of parts that fit into the steering head? Or are there some parts elsewhere needed? And yes I will probably need a bakelite knob for the top.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 ... Match4.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 ... Match3.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 ... Match2.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 ... Match1.jpg
wilko

G3WO Girder forks

Post by wilko »

If you cant find the appropiate bits you could use teledraulic system, but you will have to cut and shut the damper threaded rod down at the bottom for the lower link spindle to pass through. An easy job! otherwise it looks the same.I would send pictures except i would have to pull my girders apart!! douglas
Dougie

G3WO Girder forks

Post by Dougie »

Jeepman, your set-up looks just like mine - no steering damper assy whatsoever!

Ken (itma) is the true expert and I'm sure he will be able to comment but, in the mean time, I'll have a go.

You have a control spindle that runs inside the steering head tube. At the bottom there is a friction plate that has a tab that fixes to a threaded lug on the frame down tube. There is a friction spring and a friction disc (oh, and a friction sleeve on the control spindle). The lower part of the spindle is fashioned with a horizontal hole through it for the lower fork spinde to pass through. At the top there is a ridged washer that interfaces with the grooves on the underside of the damper knob. This stops the knob from loosening under vibration.

I've probably missed some detail but Ken will be able to give you chapter and verse.

I only have a spare knob (and it is a brand new reproduction) as I have only just acquired the correct assy for mine. (I swapped a tele damper for it with a chap in Norway!)
jeepman

G3WO Girder forks

Post by jeepman »

Dougie,

Until I can get the necessary bits, would it harm to ride the bike as it is?

I can see the bit on the down frame where the part should be bolted but it looks like it has been filled or plugged. Would need drilling out.

Cheers.
Biscuit
Deceased

G3WO Girder forks

Post by Biscuit »

Can't comment on this particular model and forks, but my Vincent threw me off when I forgot to tighten the damper after arriving in open country after a lot of town miles, very painful!.

Dougie

G3WO Girder forks

Post by Dougie »

Jeepman

My G3 hasn't got the damper fitted (yet) and, although I've ridden it very infrequently, and always in one direction only (breakdown followed by trailer home; get my drift?!?! ) it seems to ride fine.

I'm only going to fit the damper because girders should have one to look right
matchmax

G3WO Girder forks

Post by matchmax »

Hello to everybody! I have a big problem...I do not know where I can find the rear mudguard and the toolbox of my G3L 1941. Anybody can help me? Sorry for my English...Thank you Devis (From Venice-Italy)