New chain - lubrication

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
itma

New chain - lubrication

Post by itma »

I think Reynolds know what they are doing so I would agree with Biscuit

Its better to ensure that the chain tension is correct for longer life, I see so many bikes with the chain so taut you could play a tune on it.
Folk forget that when the bike is off the stand the chain tends to tighten; its better a bit too slack than too tight.
When I used a bike more often than I do now and in all weathers I used to brew up a concoction of chainsaw oil, a bit of graphite grease, and a dollop of STP, I'd put it in an oil can, warm up the oil can on a the workshop stove and squirt it on hot while spinning the wheel.
Not at all scientific, but it seemed to work, if only by keeping the wet out.

the reasoning behind the chainsaw oil is that its made to stay on a chain whizzing round a bit faster than those on our old nails are wont to.Edited by - itma on 11 Jan 2008 5:36:00 PM
crawsue

New chain - lubrication

Post by crawsue »

Charles,with modern 'bikes pushing out 3/4/5 times the torque of our machines,the proprietory spray-on chain lubes are of a very high standard and easily able to "do the business"for us.I agree with Alan,a new chain,use the modern lubricants. As a bonus they are pretty easy to apply,especially when working with a centre stand.I have been advised by modern 'bike mechanics to avoid the "waxy" versions.Given your anticipated trips and the mileages involved,have you considered an automatic oiling system a la "Scotoiler" I have one on my modern Trumpet....chains last forever (nearly!)
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
Biscuit
Deceased

New chain - lubrication

Post by Biscuit »

I tried the wax type, Kawasaki 'O' ring chain, after it had dried I couldn't detect anything on it. The others are good, but don't believe them when they say it doesn't throw off. Scott oiler? - just throw a cup full of oil over the hub and wheel, has the same effect.

Chazzyb

New chain - lubrication

Post by Chazzyb »

quote:
just throw a cup full of oil over the hub and wheel, has the same effect.

What an excellent idea! I shall try that in the morning and report back.

The engine breather on my 18S is directed onto the gearbox sprocket. The chain never seems to dry out, nor is there any danger of the rear rim rusting.

I have a Scotty on my modern hack.
Charles
lawrence

New chain - lubrication

Post by lawrence »

Hi
Scotoilers are brilliant on modern bikes. It extended the life of my Kwak chain by three times at least. When I sold the bike the chain still seemed as good as new and had not needed adjustment at all after twenty thousand miles.

BUTon the scotoiler fitted to my Bonnie the oil fouls the rear brake. I cannot get the feed right. It either overfeeds oil hence rendering the rear brake useless or there is insufficient oil to lubricate the chain. I think a modern aerosol chain lube is best on old bikes. Just a personal opinion
Merlin

New chain - lubrication

Post by Merlin »

Lawrence think yourself lucky at least you have an excuse for poor brakes mine are as always was.
Chemists do it with test tubes
Biscuit
Deceased

New chain - lubrication

Post by Biscuit »

Can you imagine AMC in the past and current motorcycle maufacturers taking delivery of a batch of chains, washing them and soaking them in a magic brew over a hi-tech version of a Primus and pan?

Just put the chain on!!!

lawrence

New chain - lubrication

Post by lawrence »

Stop beating around the bush Alan. Say what you think!
Biscuit
Deceased

New chain - lubrication

Post by Biscuit »

Alright - Charles put the bl---ding chain on NOW and don't worry about it. Note this is NOT a suggestion.

OK Lawrence?.

lawrence

New chain - lubrication

Post by lawrence »

Yep!