Petrol Tank Bracket

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
shufty

Petrol Tank Bracket

Post by shufty »

Can anyone help.

There should be a bracket which connects the underside, rear of my tank,to the frame - but it is missing. (1960 G9 Twin)

Can someone post a picture of what the bracket looks like?

I don't mind fabricating one, I have worked out in my mind what it should look like, but a photo or drawing would help.

Thanks
shufty

Petrol Tank Bracket

Post by shufty »

Anyone help?
SPRIDDLER

Petrol Tank Bracket

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Shufty, I'd guess that the factory parts list from Loose Brain-Smith would show it.
Don't see how you can manage without that list and diagrams. (Hmm, evidently you can't ).
Apologies for sticking my nose in if it's not available for the G9 (I'm a singles man) but you're not getting any responses from the cogniscenti............
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
shufty

Petrol Tank Bracket

Post by shufty »

Thanks Spriddler,

I have the relevant Bruce Main-Smith catalogue, but it doesn't show it unfortunately. But your are right, I don't know how anyone could manage without a copy.

Looks like I'll have to patent my own design! I didn't realise the bracket was that rare............
laxy

Petrol Tank Bracket

Post by laxy »

shufty, are there two small hooks brazed to the rear of the tank?
If so then its the same as mine and is secured by a rubber ring that goes from one hook round the frame and to the other hook.
I also fasten a length of carpet underlay to the crossbar with cable ties . I find this stops vibration and hence the tank splitting.
Pipe insulation works as well.
Hope this helps, Keith
shufty

Petrol Tank Bracket

Post by shufty »

laxy,

Thanks that is some help, I can visualise what you describe, I never thought of a rubber ring? I imagined a fixed bracket.

The parts catalogue does describe it as a clip however? (not two clips though)

There are two threaded lugs welded to the underside of the rear of the tank, facing downwards, which fit 5/16 bolts.

The parts catalogue lists:-
- clip, rear bottom x1 (026626)
- rubber, mounting rear x2 (026630)
- stud, for rear clip x 2 (026834)
- nuts x 2

None available via the Spares scheme.

The carpet underlay sound a good idea.

Do any of the parts listed above, make sense to anyone?

Thanks
lawrence

Petrol Tank Bracket

Post by lawrence »

quote:
shufty, are there two small hooks brazed to the rear of the tank?
If so then its the same as mine and is secured by a rubber ring that goes from one hook round the frame and to the other hook.
I also fasten a length of carpet underlay to the crossbar with cable ties . I find this stops vibration and hence the tank splitting.
Pipe insulation works as well.
Hope this helps, Keith

I use an old inner tube wrapped round the crossbar. Easy to adjust the thickness by wrapping a little more or less round until you get a nice fit. Then I secure it with cable ties. Make sure they are black cable ties!Edited by - lawrence on 04 Nov 2007 8:55:43 PM
MikeM.

Petrol Tank Bracket

Post by MikeM. »

Shufty,
If your tank is the same as on my 1960 ex Model 31 then I think you will find that there is a half round fitting at the rear of the tank with two tapped holes. This has a piece of rubber fitted into it and sits on the top frame tube, there should be another half round piece with rubber fitted in it, this has two tubes welded to it which matches up with the tapped holes in the tank and goes under the top tube to hold the rear of the tank in place, held in place by two bolts. I hope this is of help.

MikeM.
shufty

Petrol Tank Bracket

Post by shufty »

MikeM.

Thanks - I think that's it!

What you describe would work on my bike, it also fits the parts list description above.

My only issue with this fixing is that it doesn't let you take the tank off easily, and quickly. Sounds like I'd have to go under the tank to undo bolts to take the tank off. I'm more used to having a clip/bracket which unclips easily, like the rubber ring suggestion mentioned above.
But hey, if that's the way it was back in the day.....

I think I now have enough info now to fabricate something.

Thanks all, for your collective help.
Merlin

Petrol Tank Bracket

Post by Merlin »

Lawrence why black
Chemists do it with test tubes