Alloy Chain Cases on a 52 G9?

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

quote:

Theres no such thing as an intimidator only the intimidated.

If you follow this line of reasoning, you might say "There are no criminals, only victims of crime"

Anyway, so as not to stray from the subject, I think a black pressed steel chain cover looks much better than an alloy one.

Nobody complains about straying when the discussion has turned to cat's pee (as it does after a few days)*. That's the fun of a thread (it can lead anywhere)

* irony here - no offence intended to anyone or their feline friends
itma

Post by itma »

I think the problem,Greg, all along was the clumsy construction of the original post.
It was unnecessary to include the comment about the paint, and also to bring in the bearded gent who is not necessarily an AMC guru.
The point was the fitting of a cast alloy chaincase in place of the 'tin' one.
That could have led to an interesting discussion on the feasability or not, as it almost did before all the toys exited the perambulator.
Non original fittings were not the case as I see it, as we all do that, and as for being a rivet counter, in the past I have been one of the worst culprits , but have since seen the light.
What gets my goat [zoo time again] is that I maintain the position, that if you have to ask how, you can`t do it.
Nothing wrong with bolt on hi tech modifications but why try to be clever with mods that require a high degree of skill to carry out, when you can`t make the original bit work?
The bull sh!te lure of a hi tech solution to a low tech problem tends to blind so many people.

The cure is to quote Paul, KISS "keep it simple stupid"
Now ....who wants bashing?

edited as the cuss word censor is getting touchy again, had the same problem with my little pussy!!Edited by - itma on 21 Aug 2007 12:00:06 PMEdited by - itma on 21 Aug 2007 12:00:55 PM
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Just to clear up the G80 with the Aluminium chaincases, after the 2nd World War, there were a large number of ex Army G3's left in Italy. One or more small companies converted these to swinging arm frames and added cast aluminium chaincases. As far as I know there are at least 2 versions, the one on the G80 shown in the last Jampot, this has a tear shaped dome over the cush drive and no 'M' cast into the clutch cover. I have just bought one with a round dome over the cush drive and a 'M' cast into the clutch cover. The internal part is cast as per the pressed steel version to accomodate the dynamo chain. If there is interest I will use my contacts to ytry and find some more, or use mine as a pattern to make new castings.
Dudley (East London & Essex)
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

quote:

Old men playing with old bikes in an effort to recapture their youth is quite funny really.

Even riding flat out on my G3, I have come nowhere near recapturing my lost youth. I think my mistake was lending the dear boy my Fireblade in the first place.

I know I should add a smiling face here, but am I alone in finding those gurning M&Ms really annoying?

Point taken about the clumsy construction Ken - will be more careful in future
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

I would have jumped into the fray but could not think of anything intellegent to say.

Not that it had stopped me in the past!

Cheers, Don.
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

The bike in question, ie the red one, had a CP gearbox where access to the clutch is unnecessary for adjustment. Using this case with a B52 box would need access to the clutch pressure plate, preferably without removing the outer case in its entirety.

lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Please can i join the clique Mister?

Looks like John is a fan of Kurt Vonnegut? Ho Hum??
jonhal

Post by jonhal »

No John's just bored now.
jim501

Post by jim501 »

Just my thoughts. Fitting alloy chaincases to HW singles is easy. I did my G80 to get an alternator and decent electrics. Alternator rotor pretty much a straight swap for the engine shock absorber. This touches on the originality theme. Not really too bothered about that. There are enough original ones about so I don't forget what mine used to look like. I just like to see where I'm going in the dark. Sniping, griping, insults ?? Don't take it all to heart. Accept that what's written isn't necessarily how the writer wanted it to come across. Some people don't write as well as they talk and foreign visitors are at a severe disadvantage. British humour is an odd animal which frequently doesn't travel well. Also accept that this forum wouldn't be half as friendly without a liberal sprinkling of oddball humour and miscellaneous animals.
Best wishes
Jim

P.S. Let me know if you need a thread diverting into a completely new and unrelated area.
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Well said Jim.

As I said earlier, I suspected lack of clearance between the clutch basket and the final drive sprocket with the B52 box. Did you have any problems in this area?.Edited by - Biscuit on 22 Aug 2007 11:36:53 AM