Alloy Chain Cases on a 52 G9?

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
biker marc

Post by biker marc »

In the latest Jampot I noted on P7 (On a wrongly painted G80!!??) a very fine set of alloy cases. The standard issue on a '54 G9 are the porous tin jobs. I did not recognise the cases in question, with a comet shaped PD bulge, but have seen many with a round PD bulge or big alternator version.

Question - can ally cases be fitted to a '54 G9 with Burman box and if so what is involved, a certain bearded gent who knows all there is to know about all things Jampot says no, but a second opinion is always a good idea.

Marc
itma

Post by itma »

Easier to learn to fit the "pressed steel cases" properly?
Then they don't leak.
GSAX1

Post by GSAX1 »

As itma says, they don't leak if they are not warped or damaged and you fit them properly. I use some silicone sealant around the edge before I fit the rubber band and have never had a leak from this area.

I think people don't recognize the fact that the chaincase is open around the gear shaft entry point, and if the oil level is too high it will spill out from that hole. Leaking down the back and under the chaincase it can easily be mistaken for a leaky joint.

Many of these older twins seem to fill up their chaincases with motor oil, thus raising the oil level there.

Michael
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

I suspect, but I don't know, that the clearance between the clutch and the final drive sprocket is insufficient for an ALUMINIUM alloy chaincase. Provision would probably need to be made for the crankshaft shock absorber.

Looking at the picture of the bike in question it doesn't appear to be an AMC case.

I find it amusing that you refer to a 'wrongly' painted bike, when you are intent on producing a 'wrongly' equipped bike.Edited by - Biscuit on 18 Aug 2007 3:45:06 PM

TommoT

Post by TommoT »

...all I can say is that it has been done. A friend of mine has created a "special" out of mainly mid 50ies parts and has fitted the alu chaincase to the B52 gearbox and clutch. But I can tell you that he spent so much time machining, welding and milling that he swore never to do it again. Anything can be done, but in this case I don't think its worth the trouble. If you put some work into getting the pressed steel version tight, you can always chrome it if shiny looks are your fancy.

Btw. I recently saw the steel version created in aluminium as a one-off. Wonder if alu would hold up in such thin dimensions?

Edited by - TommoT on 18 Aug 2007 4:03:59 PM
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Having seen the photograph of the bike on Page 7, I think we would tend to agree with you Tom, yes it can be done

itma

Post by itma »

I think those cases are not of AMC origin; they would seem to resemble either early Triumph or Ariel cases,
That teardrop shaped bulge over the cush drive looks like one or the other; the fact that Ariels used the B52 box may have given him a head start?

and why is it "wrongly painted"? its his bike he can do what he likes with it.Edited by - itma on 19 Aug 2007 10:06:09 AM
biker marc

Post by biker marc »

Sorry to have rattled anyone's cage but my simple minded reference to "wrongly painted" referred to the letter on page seven headed "colour prejudice"

It seems one can hardly ask a simple question without someone getting the goat and falling off their perch so I will not bother in future.

Biker Marc
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

As you wish.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Well I thought we were all adults (old ones at that).If I stopped speaking to all people I p...ssed off my world would be silent.
Regards
Merlin
Chemists do it with test tubes