Model 8 condensor

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
DDub

Model 8 condensor

Post by DDub »

Hi all ,I have a 1960 model 8 and wish to replace the condenser as it is badly corroded,(works ok).I purchased a new one from AMOC stores and noticed it has two wires coming from it,the one on my bike has only one wire.My question being where does the other wire go? Any advice would be appreciated,thanks .
Duncan

Re: Model 8 condensor

Post by Duncan »

Thankfully my memory is not shot yet and I could recall this being asked before, please see this thread: viewtopic.php?p=243358#p243358
Looks like its designed for twin points so either remove one wire or connect them both to the points.
Perhaps Red Gauntlet can confirm all was well with his.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Does condenser have one wire each end or ground tag and 2 wires fro same end
DDub

Post by DDub »

Hi it has ground tag plus 2 wires from one end
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Don't throw the old one away. The old Lucas condensors were good. Just clean it up and keep it for a spare.
Dave.
DDub

Post by DDub »

Thanks everyone for your advice much appreciated,guess I will clean up the old one and continue to use it as it still works fine.I can use the new one as a spare after cutting the extra wire! .Thanks again
Red Gauntlet

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Yes, chop off the extra wire, the old capacitor will probably have greater ESR (Equivalent series resistance) which will eventually cause it not to work properly, I changed both my Lightweights to electronic ignition (Boyer) and 12V electrics. A modification that is well worth doing, I will never go back to points and capacitor again, the improvement on performance was astounding.
DDub

Post by DDub »

Thanks Red Gauntlet will give that some serious thought,funds permitting!
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Boyer also make an inductive discharge ignition kit which can be used on 6v and 12v electrics, if your bike is wired positive earth you can ditch the condenser completely but it still uses the points and a/r mechanism. Negative earth wiring still requires the condenser.
I have fitted this kit to several of my bikes (+ve earth wiring) and it does appear, to my mind at least, to improve starting and running. In my case I always uprate to 12v simply for the easier availability of bulbs and batteries but if you want to stay at 6v then this kit should be ok.
DDub

Post by DDub »

Ok thanks for that ,another option.