Fork slider extension covers

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Red Gauntlet

Fork slider extension covers

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Some time ago Don Madden quoted "I have a set of forks salvaged from a 1963 G80CS. The spring & damper, although produced by the factory are exactly the same as my 1956. The lower spring cover is much shorter than the road model & has a formed ridge to engage a groove in the gaiters. The slider extension is also shorter with a similar formed ridge. These forks are identical to the 1962 year G80CS."

Could someone give me the dimensions of these as fitting the gaiters over the 'normal' length ones is near impossible.
Andy51

Re: Fork slider extension covers

Post by Andy51 »

I have fitted gaiters on my '54 AJS. The top covers and slider extension were well past their best so I parted them off in the lathe to about 1 inch (a hacksaw would be fine) and the gaiters are an easy fit. Andy
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

There are some rubbish gaiters about, especially on eBay. I got mine from AMC Classic Spares.
I used a hot air gun to soften them a little and they went on with no trouble at all.
Red Gauntlet

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Yes, got the gaiters from Steve, just with the full covers & extenders underneath it makes it a tight fit. I use IPA to slide rubber boots about, makes life easy and it evaporates quickly leaving no residue.
desmo

Post by desmo »

Hi Red

Please have a look in the Photo section
I have posted what you are looking for

Norman
Red Gauntlet

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Hi Norman,
Thanks for that, do you have any accurate dimensions, from the pictures and modelling from those, I have guesstimated that the lower tubes are 3" and the tops are 1" I can machine my ones to suit then, Cheers. R
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

A point about fitting gaiters. A couple of years ago my front forks stiffened up and investigation showed there was some rust present and causing the problem. A light rub with emery cloth solved the problem, but only after removing the stanchions. I checked the gaiters (from Steve Surbey nearly 20 years ago) and they had a small drain hole to allow rain or cleaning water to escape, but not every drop gets out. Moral: slip gaiters up, unscrew extensions, dry thoroughly and grease stanchions periodically. Andy
desmo

Post by desmo »

Red,
A scetch with dimension is on its way to the picture section...
Norman
Red Gauntlet

Post by Red Gauntlet »

Thanks Norman that is appreciated do you wish to sell those at a price? anyway Andy, I discovered only today that Andover Norton do hard chromed and ground stanchions which obviously will not rust, same PN. (for the P11).
desmo

Post by desmo »

Red

Sorry those parts are not for sale,.
Had to search high and wide to get hold on them. And they are intended fir my P11 projekt.
Norman