Dealer Query.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Talos

Dealer Query.

Post by Talos »

Hello All.
I have recently received my certificate of Authenticity. It stated my AJS 350 Sceptre was supplied to a dealer GREEN on 3/1/62 from the factory.
Forgive my ignorance, but where was the factory located in London , and does anyone know where the dealer GREEN was located. It then went to its first owner in Newton Abbott in 1963.
I have done some internet searching, and have found a dealer called Wilf GREEN, but cannot find a location for this dealer. Can anyone help please.
thanks. Stephen.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Re: Dealer Query.

Post by Eamonn »

Hi Stephen,

Given that the first customer was in Newton Abbott, I suspect the dealer was "Green's of Newton Abbott" based in Queen Street.

Searching for Greens in Newton Abbott, Google came up with this:
https://www.themotorcycleco.co.uk/contact.html

Nick Green is a mechanic at this business, his father owned the original business.

Hope that helps!
Corners like a Lego man
Talos

Post by Talos »

Thanks for that information Eamonn.
It sat at the dealers for 12 months being registered on 20/3/63. Is that usual? May have something to do with the bad Winter of 62/63. What do you think about that?
Stephen.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Entirely possible - given the location and the bad weather that year it wouldn't be unusual for a lengthy time in the dealers showroom.
Corners like a Lego man
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It wasn't uncommon for bikes to languish with a dealer for what seems like a very long time. The bad winter my have ben a factor but Brit bikes were becoming less desirable than the leccy start, non drip and reliable Jap imports. The £500 BMC Mini introduced in 1959 also had an influence on bike sales to families rather than using s/car outfits. If you are interested there's an excellent fascinating book (Whatever happened to the British Motorcycle Industry?) by Bert Hopwood, from engine designer to Managing Director with the major Brit m/cycle producers which reveals the technical, engineering, political, financial and marketing factors behind the collapse.

In 1931 AJS were acquired by Matchless and became AMC and the factory was at Plumstead, South London.
Have a look in the archives here for loads of history, photos and memories.......

http://archives.jampot.dk/general/
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Where are you on Merseyside? We have a good local section which meets at Charnock Richard Football Club on the 2nd thursday of the month at around 8pm. You would be very welcome. :D Dave.
Talos

Post by Talos »

Many thanks for all the information.
I am in New Brighton, Wirral, Merseyside.
Stephen.