Is this right....?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Colonel Blink

Is this right....?

Post by Colonel Blink »

Having just fitted the jampots back to my 1952 G80S (a mere 40 odd years after I removed them), I find I have an issue...

The lower pivot bolts protrude out the back of the special spacer/nuts, but on the left side the tip of the bolt fouls the brake plate (see pic). If the bolt is tightened completely, the tip distorts the brake plate such that the shoes contact the drum and the brake drags.

I have removed the wheel and spindle to check the spacers against the diagram in the Owners Manual, and I can't see anything wrong (see other pic).

Therefore I need the help of the learnèd ladies and gentlemen who frequent these fora.... "whorrav Ah dun wrong then, tha knos?"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Is this right....?

Post by 1608 »

The wheel doesn,t look straight. It appears to be pointing to the left. This may just be an illusion though.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

It's probably wear in the rubbers in the Jampot pivot. I'd put a wider/thicker washer on the outside and shorten the bolt a bit. The snail cam arrangement looks correct. You may have got the bolts and washers mixed up, the bolt may be slightly shorter on the other side. It'll be reet!
Dave
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

1608 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:45 am The wheel doesn,t look straight. It appears to be pointing to the left. This may just be an illusion though.
Parallax.... ["no honestly it's true, I tell you....!!! :D ]
dave16mct wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:33 am It's probably wear in the rubbers in the Jampot pivot. I'd put a wider/thicker washer on the outside and shorten the bolt a bit. The snail cam arrangement looks correct. You may have got the bolts and washers mixed up, the bolt may be slightly shorter on the other side. It'll be reet!
Dave
Rubbers are all new, and the bolts are both the same according to the parts book! Whether they are identical on my bike, I'd need to check. Interestingly the parts book says the bolt 016359 is 2 1/32" long - but 016359C sold by Club spares is 1 7/8" long. I must admit, I'd already pretty much decided to lop off about an eighth of an inch from the left hand bolt and 'ave dun wi' it.

But thanks for confirming that it looks like the spindle parts are in the correct order - I thought (hoped) they were! I just found it strange that the top of the lower pivot casting is so close to the brake plate.....