Rusty petrol tanks

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
owen

Rusty petrol tanks

Post by owen »

Help please, The Matchless has taken a back seat till the daffodils are up, I have a Honda XLV 750r that needs the petrol tank derusting and some sort of treatment to the inside of same, Has any member used one they would recommend, any help will be appreciated, as none seem to be in Shropshire land. Cheers Owen
Samuel

Re: Rusty petrol tanks

Post by Samuel »

Electrolysis with Tri Sodium Phosphate solution removes rust and leaves a coating to inhibit further rusting
Sam
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Oh my, plenty of discussion on this. Try a search for threads. Here's just one:

viewtopic.php?t=30384#p253556
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

If you are not in a rush to get it done, the best and possibly the cheapest way to deal with rust is to buy a 5 ltr. container of molasis (available from equine suppliers) mix it with 20 litres of water in a large container, I use an old plastic brewing bucket. You could simply fill the petrol tank with the molassis solution if you still have the taps in it. Leave for two weeks then rinse with hot water and dry with a hot air gun or hair dryer to prevent flash rust. The molasis solution will remove only the rust and not attack the steel unlike acid based rust removal products. I have been using this method for years and it really does work. Once the rust is gone you can use any one of a number of propriety tank sealers that are avaible.

thoughrly..