Rough value

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Trsg80

Rough value

Post by Trsg80 »

Hi

I’m new to Ajs and matchless bikes but have a long history with bikes and more recently classic bikes with my 1965 tiger 100.

I’ve been given the chance to buy what I believe is a 1955 Ajs model 20 and also a matchless g80, they have both been parked up for 15+ years I’m looking for guidance on how much I should be paying as they don’t know what they are worth.

The Ajs is all original and hasn’t seen any restoration I’ve been told all oils and fuel have been dropped out so they’re is no chance of wet sumping it looks all they’re from what I could see when I went to view it

The matchless has been restored at some point but is looking tired and showing wear and tear of being left in a shed same again all oils and fuel has been dropped out.

My view on them is that in reality I’m buying them
Mechanically blind as they aren’t running and who knows what 15+ years of sitting still has done to anything internal. I didn’t have a chance to try and turn them over to see if they where seized or not

Any pointers on pricing would be much appreciated as I don’t want to offer to much for them but in the same hand I don’t want to feel like im offering them not enough and ripping them off.
clive

Re: Rough value

Post by clive »

Mighty difficult question to answer. Values of heavyweight AMC bikes seem to have been falling due to the number coming onto the market and the recession.
Factors which will affect the value include
Condition both appearance and whether or not it is a runner and all items functioning such as speedo, dynamo etc
Is it a matching numbers machine ie engine frame and gearbox as left the factory? There is an online checker for this.
Are there valid V5C documents?
Where the bike is situated, one in north of scotland likely to command a lower price than one in the Midlands simply due to number of potential purchasers.
Personally i would suggest for a 55 G9 twin in good unrestored and everything working and running condition, matching numbers and V5C £4250. Similar condition G80 £3750 more if it is a rigid or a late shortstroke model.
You are going to have to work backwards from there.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Trsg80

Post by Trsg80 »

Thank you for that. Where can I find the online checker for the serial numbers as that would be handy for when I go and look at them again. Hopefully this Time I’ll be able to get them in the day light.

I was told they have the v5c for the bikes and one did have a number plate which came back on the tax checker as still active.

I’m down in the far south west Cornwall so our market is very small plus these bikes are being sold through a friend of a friend so no one else knows or has seen them for many years.

They look to be in good order with very low miles hard to tell with just a phone tourch light. As for running order I really don’t know about that one. To be on the side of caution I’d say they are none runners just due to how long they have been sat for.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Trsg80 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:12 am Where can I find the online checker for the serial numbers as that would be handy
Go to https://dating.jampot.com

There is a more complete service available if/when required - see www.jampot.com/dating.asp for the full list
Corners like a Lego man
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Trsg80 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:48 pm Matchless g80, ...........parked up for 15+ years...........The matchless has been restored at some point but is looking tired and showing wear and tear of being left in a shed
Welcome to the club, Tom.
The year and condition of the Matchless is key to value, also a photo, even if just a snap of it in the shed. If it has been left 15 years in a shed in damp salty Cornwall.................... :?
If it's a ' 'Rigid' model i.e, no rear suspension it would be worth more than if it has rear suspension.
For one with rear suspension left in the circumstances you describe the max I would pay would be £2,500.
For a Rigid, maybe around £3,000 but without a photo it's impossible to value it fairly or accurately.
The cost of getting it running/usable/safe cannot be guessed but if for example it's a magneto model and the magneto has died during the 15 years you'd be in for around £350 for a refurbished one.
I've no experience of values of Model 20's.
Your best bet is to trawl dealers' adverts online, bearing in mind that they will generally be asking higher prices than for a private sale.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

We have sold some bikes for a members estate lately and if you are computer saavy its possibe to get ebay to tell you prices of sod bikes. You can look at the photos and description to get an idea how thry compare. I think you have to incude completed sakesin the ebay search. Good luck with negotiations.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Trsg80

Post by Trsg80 »

Thank you everyone for the reply’s. Thinking back when I was looking at them I should have taken photos but it didn’t cross my mind. I’ve been trawling through eBay and all the auction houses trying to gauge a value but it’s one or the other people on eBay trying there luck at £500-£1000 higher than the true value or auctions which are about £1500 for something in similar condition.

I’ll hopefully speak to them soon and maybe go back and have a better in-depth look and take some photos this time.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

If you filter by completed listings on e-bay you can see what people were willing to pay for bikes on auctions rather than the classified listings.
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

as others have said it's all about condition, but in the current market I'd think £1500 to £2000 would be a fair offer for non running shed finds
It's all just riding motorbikes
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Hmm, Parked up for 15 years eh. The G80 if complete is probably around £1000.00 not more than £1500.00 top wack. Consider the cost of a ground up rebuild including engine, gearbox, wheels/brakes, all electrics, exhaust system. total repainting of all tin ware, frame components, tank. New seat, cables, ect. The list goes on and on and it can be very costly indeed. I have even bought running bikes that have ended up costing an arm and a leg to completely rebuild back to a good reliable condition.
The M20 would be the same but with a twin motor and twice the number of some of the parts.
I do believe that the cost of a rebuild of these bikes from scratch are fine for a hobby but don't expect it to be cheap, typically check out the cost of a good quality wheel and brake or a mag rebuild to give you some idea of cost.

Far better to buy a running machine that is on the road and preferably from a seller that cane tell you exactly what is the condition and any known bits that need looking at. Remember that you want to see the bike starting from cold if it has been warmed up before viewing this may be a red flag.

PS. My G80 is ridden more than a modern machine sitting beside it in the garage. It keeps up with modern traffic and is more fun to ride. but then I have always liked Matchless singles. They are so easy to live with.

I can never understand why a rigid is worth more money. Try riding one on a wet or pot holed road, then come back and tell me how exciting the ride was. Tried riding rigid framed bikes about fifty years ago and I doubt if they have improved over time.