Model 30, '56 - engine studs

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
GBM

Re: Model 30, '56 - engine studs

Post by GBM »

Dave,
superb work.

May I ask one picture more close to primary chain adjuster?
(is the next step in my rebuild)

/Giovanni
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

And from the other side:Image
GBM

Post by GBM »

dave16mct wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:22 pm Image
It seems my gear case is litte bit different, but my adjuster are in the same position.
Practically the big bolt keeps the gear case in position and the adjuster fix the desired position, right?
adjuster_mio_small.jpeg
/Giovanni
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes it stops the gearbox going backwards and tightening the primary chain. You would be better off with an adjuster which has an extension or a longer hexagon to make it easier to get a spanner on it. I think your gearbox may be from a CS which had adjusters on both sides outside the engine plates.
Dave
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

For 1956 the original gearbox would have been a Burman B52 (GB) with an adjuster outside the engine plate, do you know which gearbox you have?
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Thanks Duncan, I'm forgetting mine's a 58 with AMC box. Giovanni's will probably be a Burman, although he seems to have an alloy chaincase. I think that adjuster would still be OK.
Dave
GBM

Post by GBM »

Folks,
moving ahead in my restoration, I approach the primary chain.
But I have a doubt: here the parts I have in the picture below.
primary1_.jpeg
primary2_.jpeg
Looking the parts list it seems missing the one identified as 014295 in the picture, I am right?
partlist_primary_.jpeg
Try to investigate a bit on AMOC online catalog, the part is not listed, I am a bit confused... :?

/Giovanni
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Giovanni, I believe that the part is in your second picture filing the aperture in the crankcase, if you have a strong magnet it should pill out, It should have a scroll on it to direct oil back into the engine. It also acts as a sort of thrust spacer between the drive sprocket and the main bearing as the drive sprocket moves against the cam and spring to smooth the engine pulses.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

It's all present and correct, if you blow the picture right up you can see the edge of the oil scroll on the spacer in the case, Just check the breather bolt by sucking and blowing. Stick the thread in your mouth and blow, if it releases that's good, if you suck in it should seal the sprung flap shut. If it doesn't and you can still suck in plenty of air then it needs an overhaul or a new replacement. All parts and complete assembly available through the spares dept.
GBM

Post by GBM »

Duncan & ajscomboman,
thank you for help. Understood the way the primary sprocket now is in place, look the picture below.
primaria.jpeg
Placing the chaincase back half, I found that the sprocket is not passing the hole in the chaincase.
There is any trick to do it without removing the sprocket again?

/Giovanni