1949 rigid mudguards

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Rubicon

1949 rigid mudguards

Post by Rubicon »

As far as I can work out the 1949 G80 rigid had plain mudguards with a join under the saddle, is anyone able to confirm whether the profile was the same as the 1950 ribbed mudguard without the rib? The width of the mudguard, the height of the profile and the length of the short section which joins under the saddle.
Does anyone make the rear mudguard stays/lifting handle? Is it possible to get the correct rear number plate?
Does anyone have any of the above they would like to sell, new or good secondhand, (not the Indian rubbish).
Any help on the above will be very appreciated.

Cheers
Paul
clive

Re: 1949 rigid mudguards

Post by clive »

Once you know what you are after please use the advertising part of the forum or the direct adverts which also go in the mag. I cannot help as my 49 had later guards.. Good luck
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rubicon

Post by Rubicon »

Mine has had alloy mudguards put on it so nothing original to go on apart from some drawings and pictures. There is a place which will make new mudguards, including a 1950 spec one, but if I was going to go down this expensive route. might as well find out the correct 1949 item specs which could be useful for anyone looking in the future. https://vintagesteelfenders.com/mudguar ... ar-2-piece I will investigate the advertising section thank's for that.
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

Hi Paul 1949 and 1950 profiles are very different so are the rear arch lifiting handles. 1949 used a plain "D section 18 cms aover all width. The lifting handle fixing arch is avaialable from AMC Classic spares. I bought an Indian made pice of rubbish which had to be altered to make it fit. The brackets were the worng size and in the wrong place and had to be remade. As for a rear number plate, I have been searching for one for two years. from what I have discovered they are the same shape as for 1950 but without the rib. I have fitted the Indian rear mudguard and it looks OK for size. The short front section is 48.5 cms long + the lenghth of the lip aprox 2.5 cms. and the rear section is 92 cms. long Together they measure 138.5 cms. the Australian firm you mention are very expensive but do make good quality guards.