North Essex?

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
Dan17

North Essex?

Post by Dan17 »

Hi all,

I am a new member and a new motorcyclist, I have recently inherited an AJS Model 20, 1956. The bike hadn't been started for around 25 years but after some fresh oil, a tank clean and fresh petrol (plus one or two other bits!), I got it going and took it up the road. Lovely bike to ride but the following day realised I'd left a trail of oil everywhere I'd been! Turns out the oil had leaked into the chaincase where it had been sat for years and a certain amount escaped on my very short ride. I proceeded to remove the chain case and clutch cover, gave it all a good clean and put it back, but as expected, it still leaks!

Anyway, I'm based in North Essex, nr. Dunmow and I wondered if anyone is local enough (and willing) to help me get this little issue fixed and maybe give the bike a once over to see if there's anything I ought to get sorted before I ride it again? Happy to pay and I can probably make a fairly short journey on the bike but it would be great to get it nicely road worthy so that I can start using it a bit more.

Thanks in advance :)
SPRIDDLER

Re: North Essex?

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Dan.
Lovely bike you've inherited.
The steel chaincases have form for leaking. Club Spares supply an improved rubber seal (Pt. No. 018652AD) which is very successful in preventing leaks.
Tip: When you put oil in the chaincase put just enough to just touch the underside of the lower chain run.
Search Club Spares here:

https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... oducts.asp

There are the factory Owner Manuals and Spares Lists here under 'Books':
(Club Spares use the same part numbers as in the factory Spares List).

http://archives.jampot.dk/

Have fun!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Dan17

Post by Dan17 »

Amazing, thank you Spriddler.

Appreciate the comments and links.

Once I feel I can rely on it a bit more I will make a point of attending a meeting.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

There's a vast amount more info available in the Archives and help here, but probably best later on a 'need to know' basis.
Once the clocks have changed many/most in my section (and probably in the other sections) attend 'out of season' and inclement weather club nights by car so don't let the bike put you off.
Anyway, you wouldn't be the first one who arrived on a club night late, with filthy hands - or didn't arrive at all. ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Dan17

Post by Dan17 »

Do you happen to know how many links are meant to be in the primary chain? I was about to order a new one, mine is very slack and realised the new one has 67 links and mine has 66. 67 would obviously be longer and slacker, and even with adjustment I'm not sure would get the correct tension.

I may just adjust the existing one up to the correct tension instead.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

According to the 1956 spares list on Christian's Archive, the primary chain should be 66 links.
Dan17

Post by Dan17 »

Thank you very much Reynard24.
Dan17

Post by Dan17 »

Found it, thanks.
Last edited by Dan17 on Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.