1940’s rigid project

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Tazmantic

1940’s rigid project

Post by Tazmantic »

Hi, so today as the rear section of the frame arrived (not correct year but all I could get) I decided to do a dry run fit as I knew the front section had been bent to try fit a swing arm by previous owner.

On bolting things together it was obvious the down tube was about 1 1/4 inches out, well after quite a lot of manipulation and fat boy thrutching I’ve got it all to line up and seems to fit nice, bit annoyed I did mark the down tube but that’s a learning curve my main questions are the right hand bottom leg touches the engine is this correct? Also I noticed the oil tank stud was/got bent and trying to straighten it broke off is this cast in or just a stud and should unscrew?

Thanks Neil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tazmantic on Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyday’s a learning curve.
clive

Re: 1940 rigid project

Post by clive »

I don't think the rear loop would normally touch the engine casing. I am not sure why a previous owner would need to bend the frame to fit a swinging arm. It should just bolt on unless they were trying to fit one from another manufacturer. I think the stud you have broken is unlikely to be cast into the frame. You have this titled 1940 rigid project but judging by the scallop for the dynamo in the casings they are later than that but pre 49 when the valve lifter went to the rockerbox cover.
I built a bitsa a while back using parts from around 22 bikes many looked like they were correct but there were subtle differences which meant some required "adjustment". Good luck.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Tazmantic

Re: 1940 rigid project

Post by Tazmantic »

Hi Clive, I’ll update the title should of said “1940’s” yes the frame was definitely bent to take a 1955 rear end which it had on when I picked it up, but not sure the engine plates would’ve fitted, and yes, this is definitely another bits frame dated 1945, rear loop probably 1950, engine 1948 so all within a few years of each other lol. Will have a look at the stud today and try investigate the engine touching if the end of the frame was slightly smaller it would miss I thing.

Cheers
Everyday’s a learning curve.