Tank stripe 1947

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3L1946

Tank stripe 1947

Post by G3L1946 »

Morning to all,

Quick question, for a change! Would all 1947 G3L’s have the silver ‘piping’ on the petrol tank or did some not have one? Mine does not and having seen photos of it, prior to restoration, it does not appear to be sporting one.
Before I start finding someone to paint one on for me it might be good to know if it should have one! Most photos I see, of others, they are present.
Also, the M on the tank are not smooth but ‘hammer beaten’ effect. Bit different!

Thanks all,

Steve
Last edited by G3L1946 on Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackstringer

Re: Tank stripe 1947

Post by jackstringer »

If you have a look at Dutch archives I think you will find details about the tank graphics for various years.

Many of the old graphics were water transfers but in the 70 odd years since the bike was built others may have come up with thier own way to get the flying M on to the tank.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

There's this in the Archives.......'46 to '50 all H/W models.
(JS was posting at same time as me).

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tan ... 6-1950.pdf

Tank lining 46 to 50.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi both,
Thanks for the replies. I have the above template and I’ve managed to scale it up to be the correct dimensions to be of practical use. It was just clarification that all ‘47 models had the silver graphic. I think the answer is Yes!
I will talk to my sign writer lady ( who did a marvellous job on my ‘55 ) to get the tank reunited with its silver stripe!
The M’s are solid badges not shiny but hammered finish.

Cheers,

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

I had this image in my collection of images I had scavenged online, which I assume shows original tank striping. Bike looks like a 1947 or early 48 model (strap headlight supports, exhaust lifter on crankcase).

I’ve looked at the template shown above by Spriddler and it looks to be more curved top and bottom than the striping in the tank images I have seen, not sure it is correct for your tank.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,
Thanks for the information and picture. I’ve looked at several photographs, both new and contemporary, and the stripes seem to minutely vary ,almost, from one machine to another.
I think I will take a ‘mean average’ and get my sign writer to weave her magic.
Regards,

Steve
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

Rose was right handed an Anna was Left handed, and if Mike did the stripe the only thing that mattered was if he painted it before the liquid lunch or after.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

🤔
Steve

Post by Steve »

AndrewM wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:03 pm I had this image in my collection of images I had scavenged online, which I assume shows original tank striping. Bike looks like a 1947 or early 48 model (strap headlight supports, exhaust lifter on crankcase).

I’ve looked at the template shown above by Spriddler and it looks to be more curved top and bottom than the striping in the tank images I have seen, not sure it is correct for your tank.
Isn't the template Spriddler posted the top of the tank judging from the cutout at the front?
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Steve,

I’m not too sure what you mean? The template that Spriddler posted seems, by what I have seen, to be about right. As previously stated, there seems to be variations to the theme when looking at new and contemporary photographs of the pin stripe. I have adjusted the template to ‘true size’ and it’s pretty much like your example when offered up to the petrol tank and ‘curved’ to the contours of the tank.

Steve