More 26 musings - points! Stator plates etc

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Mikedearing

More 26 musings - points! Stator plates etc

Post by Mikedearing »

I have been searching for a set of points and a stator plate and a Bakelite cover for maybe 4 years, to no avail:

The very helpful people @ green spark hasn't got any idea as to where to find replacements, there seems to be noting i can find in the archives as to a fix either..

From Mr Green @ the aforementioned said he thought LEs may be a potential -

Apparently LE velos use miller bits and owners have converted their stator and points to a ford unit.. so I'm hoping it's the same component / I will have to find someone who has done this - but before I do, is there anyone here who has been in the same position ??

Thank you Mike

Mike
Mikedearing

Re: More 26 musings - points! Stator plates etc

Post by Mikedearing »

I presume the model 12 uses the same points and stator
Groily

Post by Groily »

I don't know about Mods 26 and 12 but I do know a little bit about LE Velocettes with Miller systems.
The LE used 2 types of Miller - the ACP3 and ACP4 set up. Later versions, mostly Police ones, had 12v Lucas systems. The Millers feature a large magnetic flywheel which encapsulates the stator plate and, as original, fired 2 x 3v ignition coils wired in series, triggered by a set of points and atd operated by a cam on the nose of the crankshaft. (Lighting was also provided.)The stator plate is a big affair - a far cry from the points backplate I am imagining based on the pic of the Mod 26 in the Archives. Not to say that the points themselves might not be similar though!

I attach a pic of the ignition arrangement on the Miller equipped LEs from the Service manual, in case it helps.
The mod to take Cortina points is / was a popular one - they can apparently be grafted on quite easily.

There were also Miller dynamos with points driven off the brush end, which may have used similar to what you have on your timing case - but for the life of me I can't recall which machines used that system. (Companies such as New Imperial used similar, but using Lucas dynamos . . . )

If all else fails, I wonder if there's a possible electronic route with a stator plate and sender from something like Thorspark to do the job?
LE Miller bits.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mikedearing

Post by Mikedearing »

That is really useful - it's helpful in that it is nothing like the points on mine / I will take a pic.. and put it here..

A modern system would be useful - I had wondered about a Boyer bransden too :-)
OEW591

Post by OEW591 »

Are you sure you have a Model 26? All the pictures I can find show a forward mounted Magneto for ignition. The only AMC bikes I know of with Miller coil ignition are the 1937 Matchless side valves
Mikedearing

Post by Mikedearing »

Nope absolutely certain 26 single port
Mikedearing

Post by Mikedearing »

Both the 250 and 350 OHV models had models with coils and points
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Mike, as Alan notes for AJS back in the day (say 1939) the model 26 would have had a magneto and would have been a twin port, where as the 26SS and 26T would have had a single port and magneto, the coil ignition models were the 12 and 16, both single port the 12M and 16M had a magneto hence the M suffix. That's not to say that over the last 80+ years modifications and substitutions will have been made which makes identifying parts problematical, if you can post photos hopefully others will be able give more information.
Mikedearing

Post by Mikedearing »

Well I'll post a picture - I'm certain (and I will stand corrected if wrong) I have a 26 with a single port and points and I have another crankcase which is similar - I most likely have enough bits and pieces to make a twin port magneto version, but because I'm a conservator by nature and profession I'll continue with trying to get this engine running on points - it seems all of a piece but after so many years.. as you suggest.. ho hum ... I'm having a similar issue with brake levers - I have many plumstead varíents of those too ..
huntshaded

Post by huntshaded »

The model 26 would have had a magneto and been a twin port, whereas the 26SS and 26T would have had a single port and magneto. The coil ignition variants were the 12 and 16, both single port, with the 12M and 16M having a magneto, therefore the M suffix. That's not to say that throughout the last 80+ years, alterations and substitutions haven't occurred, making identifying parts difficult; if you can upload images, others may be able to provide more information.