Model26T FZ1823? Seeking advice opinion etc

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Mikedearing

Model26T FZ1823? Seeking advice opinion etc

Post by Mikedearing »

My 26 is a 39 single port, amongst very many photos I've collected over the years to help the build I have a pic of a hi level exhaust 38 or 39/26T with the above registration that is the kind of spec I'm hoping to restore to.. Is this a club bike ? Interestingly enough this also has the lovely art deco angled rocker box - mine has the (to my mind) duller 3 pin vertical rocker box..

As I'm currently considering wheel sizes as I'm replacing and I'm wondering what hub and rim and brake size to use ( there is a T in our archive that has a truly enormous front wheel diameter ( looks like a 21 ?) but I'd like to find out what is appropriate as I bet they are all different - there was a red one in Adelaide with ally guards and the 39 sales catalogue def has plain chrome or alloy guards ( alloy ?? ) but it's an illustration rather than photo.. also did they have leg guards from the off ?? I suspect there isn't a definitive answer..

Thank you Mike
Duncan

Re: Model26T FZ1823? Seeking advice opinion etc

Post by Duncan »

Hi Mike, have you found the 1938 & 1939 AJS sales brochure in the Archive yet? http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/S ... alogue.pdf http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/S ... ochure.pdf See page 18 in the 1939 one, Mudguards are shallow section chrome, tyre sizes are also quoted.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

It sounds like an interesting project. So you have a '39 model 26 and you want to build it to look like a 26T? I've only seen 2 model 18T, one belonged to a friend and the other was in the Winfield collection in Rawtenstall. They had consecutive registration numbers. They're a very nice looking bike. Have you seen the '39 Sales Brochure in Christian's Archives?
http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/S ... ue_NEW.pdf
Dave.
Mikedearing

Post by Mikedearing »

Hi yes I've got all the info I can find in the archive I have pictures of two 26 T - both single ports, as is mine and there is a gentleman I got some components off who has a 250 that is In trails trim too, one of my 12s has a RE rear frame section so it might have been what was available @ the time or for trials... I don't want to veer from what was probable to be honest hence trying to determine whether this bike was still in that trim or not..

I'm having enough issues with the points and a missing point cover ;-)
I'd love to have a close up picture of one of those to compare and contrast..

But what is certain is that I want to get this bike up and running.. just ordered some pipes from armours..

Thank you Mike
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Mike if you are building a replica 26T you should consider swapping the coil ignition for a magneto for a more authentic look.
Mikedearing

Post by Mikedearing »

I suspect I will build what is available?ñ :-) I also have no ambition to extend the build any longer :-) I have a magneto 26 engine as well , the conscious effort will be to get the bike running first I need to lace up a front wheel and it will be 19 so the idea was initially to find out whether the bike in the photograph still existed which I think is a coil bike with a high level single port - to use that as an example to build mine from - whether it is a T is conjecture to be fair :-)
Mikedearing

Post by Mikedearing »

In fact I've had another look at the pic of this bike, it has normal diameter wheels 18 or 19 and has a mag,single port high level exhaust.
So I'll just lace my front wheel as a 19 wm2 I think and I'll run a high level exhaust as that's what I have - I'm missing the Miller Bakelite point cover so I'll machine one out of brass or alloy until I find one