Front wheel alignment out.

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Les Howard

Re: Front wheel alignment out.

Post by Les Howard »

Looking again maybe the nearside (left) slider is wrong and that the bottom of it is too thick. I think the sliders for the heavyweight brake and hub are probably different to the lightweight brake plate and hub as fitted to the G5...Could a member take a photo of their G5 front forks and brake and post them here so to help to see if there is a difference, please?
Amb3611

Post by Amb3611 »

Thanks for the help chaps. On looking at the comparison,parts are all in the right place but as suspected the near side slider is incorrect. On measuring with a calliper it is 3 mm wider than the other which will obviously move the wheel to the offside slightly? Don’t know if this would be enough for the amount it’s over but doesn’t help.As sliders are difficult to come by I am thinking of reducing the length of the near side spacer ( nut for brake plate). Any comments?
KAB
raffles

Post by raffles »

Looking at the photos it looks like you wheel is offset to the frame (the centre of tyre does not line up with
the frame downtube) maybe that if you can spacer this to line up your problem could be solved.
Tony
Amb3611

Post by Amb3611 »

As most of you rightly stated, wheel offset was out. Took the wheel to local repairer after I snapped a spoke trying to do it myself. Soon sorted .Wheel now central. Thanks all. Now onto the rest of the issues 😏.
KAB