Front wheel alignment out.

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Amb3611

Front wheel alignment out.

Post by Amb3611 »

Hi, I have seen previous posts on this issue but I think something is wrong with my forks. I have replaced the brake shoes and on refitting front wheel note that the right side of tyre is extremely close to the mudguard. Rim distance from fork stanchion is 1 cm less on right than left? Looking at previous posts my left hand fork leg looks different. It is the same length as the right but clamp mount face looks wrong ? Photos were taken with spindle not fully tightened.Any advice appreciated, I have only had the bike a few months and only one test ride when brakes failed so it wouldn’t surprise me if previous owner had “adjusted” a few things.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KAB
vigo

Re: Front wheel alignment out.

Post by vigo »

You may have found my old post where I mentioned the same. My thoughts were that a new wheel had been laced up wrong during a resto about 2011. I live with it. My wheel rim is close to the RH fork.
Amb3611

Post by Amb3611 »

I did wonder if it was normal ,although it is very close to the mudguard (5mm),but can't understand why the slider is different. On earlier inspection the damper rod was not attached to the cap on the same fork leg? Wondered if it had be replaced with the wrong slider.
KAB
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I'm not great on lightweights however it looks like you have an earlier heavyweight slider with the square section on the bottom that has had the front mudguard mounting removed, while technically not correct for year it will work normally.
Amb3611

Post by Amb3611 »

Yes I think it is the wrong slider but as you say appears to work ok. Same length etc. still can’t see how it would throw the centralisation out unless it’s normal with the brake mechanism etc on the wider side. Here is a pic without mudguard.
IMG_0005.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KAB
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

looking at your picture the location of the hub looks correct and lines up with the brake torque arm , id say that the rim off set is incorrect . I know that one of our section had issues with his lightweight and central wheel didn't list the correct for spoke lengths for his set up . I assume different for 250, 350 etc.. In the end we set the offset correctly using new spokes .
Amb3611

Post by Amb3611 »

looking at the wheel and spokes I don't think it has ever been altered. spokes look original etc and wheel spins true. As you say hub lines up etc . I will give it a run and see how it handles.
KAB
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Amb3611 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:57 am looking at the wheel and spokes I don't think it has ever been altered. spokes look original etc and wheel spins true. As you say hub lines up etc . I will give it a run and see how it handles.
It will handle like crap and even if you manage to line up the rear wheel with it which will be VERY difficult as it will need to be clamped at an angle but the washers on the rear spindle won't really allow this much misalignment on the swing arm slots. You will also see the adjusters will be very differently set too. To me the spacers on the brake plate do not look correct perhaps both left and right. I would try to get a similar good example of your bike to check it with. IF these are OK, the wheel will need to be reset/ re-tensioned and pulled over half the distance of the current offset. Like if one side is 20mm over compared to the close side then you will need to get it pulled over 10mm
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

not all lightweight wheels are the same , so it might just not be correct for your bike . this is why central wheel were not able to offer the correct length spokes without a sample being supplied
As Les says you need to compare with exactly the bike and brake /spacers on another bike
Amb3611

Post by Amb3611 »

Thanks for the advice, it sounds like a plan. Just need to find someone local with the same model. It's not far to the meet for my local club so will see if I can arrange that.
KAB