M6 rear brake drum

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Tim K

M6 rear brake drum

Post by Tim K »

Hi Everyone

I need to replace the rear brake drum on my 1929 M6 as it's well beyond skimming etc, and I'm sure that there's a readily available alternative available for a more modern bike that I could adapt.

From what I can see I'd have to cut/grind the old drum off the sprocket before welding or riveting a replacement on.

Has anyone done something similar? If so what was the replacement drum that you used? Unfortunately all the adverts for brake drums that I've found say what bike they're for rather than giving dimensions.

Cheers

Tim
Andy51

Re: M6 rear brake drum

Post by Andy51 »

What diameter is the drum? There's plenty of 7 in drums out there, and BSA 8 inch single sided drums are cheap enough at autojumbles. Andy
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

What diameter is the drum? There's plenty of 7 in drums out there, and BSA 8 inch single sided drums are cheap enough at autojumbles. Not a brake, I know, but I have sucessfully grafted a new clutch drum on to a chainwheel. Look at Brufnut.de website, he hasplenty on brake drums on pre war Broughs, the principles would be the same. Andy
Tim K

Post by Tim K »

Hi Andy
I think the original internal diameter would have been 6 1/4". I could make one from scratch, but it would take me a very long time on my little lathe. 6 1/4" comes out at 158.75 mm, so I'm hoping I'll be able to track a modern one at 155mm which I can adjust.
Cheers
Tim
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Honda 175s used a 160mm drum if that's any use. Andy
Tim K

Post by Tim K »

Thanks Andy, I'll do some investigating.

Cheers

Tim