Only runs in emergency mode

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Dubbsy

Re: Only runs in emergency mode

Post by Dubbsy »

Yep, getting 7.8 volts at the battery when on moderate rpm, drops back to 6.7v at tickover.
Groily

Post by Groily »

That's very encouraging!
Have you tried running in 'normal' mode without the battery connected to see what happens? Should have sparks and, at moderate rpm, lights that are bright - but a bit flickery and dim at low rpm probably.
Dubbsy

Post by Dubbsy »

Not as yet, I've found a small glitch that may have been the problem. The ignition/ emergency switch has a slight dead spot when turned to the I position, so when it running in normal mode ( I ) if you just touch the switch to the left or right by a millimeter the engine cuts out.and it's possible that when I tried to start it in emergency then moved it back to the I position it lands on the dead spot and just cuts the engine. So I'm going to be looking at the switch. It's the original factory one, so a near on 60 years old !
Dubbsy

Post by Dubbsy »

All sorted, although the battery was very low and after a good long slow recharge it started but it was temperamental, the root cause was the ignition / emergency switch, it had a very slight dead spot due, I found this being due to the original rotary connection block being a tad loose, not bad for a 50+ year connector and switch, all sorted now and back to 1st time kick and starting again 👍