Tyres advice please.

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Amb3611

Tyres advice please.

Post by Amb3611 »

Hi all, well after the first test ride of bike, the front brake was non existent to the point I snapped the cable (although was old). Anyway on removing the front wheel, I find shoes well glazed ?post contamination, and hub looks like its never had any friction contact for a while. So now sourcing new shoes etc. I note the club website does do them on exchange basis is this because new ones are unavailable? I suspect so. Also on closer inspection I will need two new tyres, Currently fitted with 3.25 x 18 Dunlops. Can anyone guide me on which would be the best replacements ?
Cheers.
KAB
Andy.S

Re: Tyres advice please.

Post by Andy.S »

Last edited by Andy.S on Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

We only stock 19" though and the thread states 18". It'd help to know what model bike it's for as well as it could be a late HW or a 350L/W
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Amb3611 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:59 pm Hi all, well after the first test ride of bike, the front brake was non existent to the point I snapped the cable (although was old). Anyway on removing the front wheel, I find shoes well glazed ?post contamination, and hub looks like its never had any friction contact for a while. So now sourcing new shoes etc. I note the club website does do them on exchange basis is this because new ones are unavailable?
New ( i.e. brand new) shoes are virtually unobtainable (shoes rarely wear out), although someone mentioned a source in France a week or two ago. You can have your own shoes relined and I believe there are softer linings available than the usual modern linings which are said to be harder since the removal of asbestos. Either way, folk were happy back in the day with stopping distances of around 35 feet at 30mph which is mentioned in several reviews/road tests.

As far as the brake is concerned have a look at my very old post in the link below which gives a guide to setting up these notoriously finnicky front brakes. The pics are of my H/W bike but I think the L/W brake is much the same - anyway the same principles apply.

viewtopic.php?f=17&p=115566&t=12693&sid ... bb3cecd49d
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Amb3611 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:59 pm Hi all, well after the first test ride of bike, the front brake was non existent to the point I snapped the cable (although was old).
Fitting a robust cable is important.
Some autojumble ones for brake and clutch have flimsy ferrules, nipples and conduit (the outer sheath) and are no more robust than a throttle cable.
Control cables dims..jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Amb3611

Post by Amb3611 »

ajscomboman wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:44 pm We only stock 19" though and the thread states 18". It'd help to know what model bike it's for as well as it could be a late HW or a 350L/W
Hi,yes I checked the club site and noted only 19”. It is a 1960 350 LW.
Cheers.
KAB
Amb3611

Post by Amb3611 »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:28 pm
Amb3611 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:59 pm Hi all, well after the first test ride of bike, the front brake was non existent to the point I snapped the cable (although was old).
Fitting a robust cable is important.
Some autojumble ones for brake and clutch have flimsy ferrules, nipples and conduit (the outer sheath) and are no more robust than a throttle cable.

Control cables dims..jpg
I have purchased a cable from the site shop. The more I go through the bike the more I note has been poorly put back together or bodged. Hence why the first test ride just to ensure all gears worked etc. I did find lots of false neutrals non the box but put that down to me perhaps not being forcefull enough with the right foot. Only went about 1/4 mile and when brake cable snapped thought it wise to return.
Cheers.
KAB
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Amb3611 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:32 am
ajscomboman wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:44 pm We only stock 19" though and the thread states 18". It'd help to know what model bike it's for as well as it could be a late HW or a 350L/W
Cheers.

Yep stupid me I should have noted the area it was posted in G5/Mod 8

I ran my Mod 8 on K82's and they were superb. Front brake shoes are only on exchange as has been stated, you cannot buy new as far as I'm aware off.
Amb3611

Post by Amb3611 »

ajscomboman wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:01 am
Amb3611 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:32 am
Cheers.

Yep stupid me I should have noted the area it was posted in G5/Mod 8

I ran my Mod 8 on K82's and they were superb. Front brake shoes are only on exchange as has been stated, you cannot buy new as far as I'm aware off.
I will price them up. Many thanks.
KAB
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

what you want to do with your brake shoes is to send them to VILLIERS SERVICES for relining and ask for soft linings for road use .
these linings are very good and will improve your brake no end .

i have them in my ariel NH which had none too clever brakes but now pulls up very well .

you just have to package the shoes up and put a note in with them to say what they are for giving your address details and villers services will sort them for you when they receive them .
its around £25 for pair of shoes relined and takes around 2 weeks total for posting to them and return .
you can pay via website in advance or over phone when they are done , i usually ring them after a week or so of them having the shoes to see about paying for them
the shoes are bonded on and have been fine for me but i note some people will drill out the original rivet holes through the linings and insert bifurcated rivets in them for their own peace of mind but i just use them as they came bonded and have had no problems .

https://villiersservices.co.uk/product/ ... g-service/

cheers , ian