rubber sealing 022703

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Vink27A

rubber sealing 022703

Post by Vink27A »

I'm looking for a rubber sealing, magneto to chaincase, I don't have a clue how it looks like and were I could buy one. Has someone a picture of this item and maybe know a shop?
Might other bikes use the same sealing rubber?
jackstringer

Re: rubber sealing 022703

Post by jackstringer »

Have a look fro a part number with the parts books that can be found here.

archives.jampot.dk/

Most of the parts can be bought via the club spares scheme.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I bought a sealing ring from Steve Surbey, but it was far too thick. I used a largish diameter o-ring (from a box of assorted sizes at around a tenner) which did the trick on my '54 18S perfectly - the gap to be sealed was only a few mm. Andy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Vink27A wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:52 am I'm looking for a rubber sealing, magneto to chaincase, I don't have a clue how it looks like and were I could buy one.
They are intended for Comp machines. You don't say year or model of yours or show it in your Profile.
I've never fitted one on any of my singles for more than 30 years and no grease has leaked out (nor has any muck has got into the mag).

Club Spares have them. See here..........

5 minutes to fit if you cut it, fit it, then glue the cut ends together.

https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... tItems.asp

Magneto seal.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

My experience was that it was still too thick and I used a very sharp blade and a flat board with a spacer to cut it thinner. Perhaps that was just because I had to adjust the mag for a better chain run.

Johnny B
clive

Post by clive »

Too thick for my bike too. I used a bt of foam rubber. I would agree its not really necessary on a road bike.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Vink27A

Post by Vink27A »

Thanks a lot for the info, I have enough material (foam rubber, rubber) to create one. It's a dutch army G3LS 1956, so it might has to go in the dirt aswell.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

There are a few of them about. I have taken mine of some byways for a bit of fun.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I found, as you did, that rubber ring sold for the purpose was too thick. I used a 38mm I/D x 4mm section "O" ring that did the job on my bike perfectly.
picture139.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
The Vandal

Post by The Vandal »

I’d seen this thread when I was searching for info about the rubbery/foamy seal that had been Bike when I stripped it down and then without really looking or thinking about it I ordered some 38 x 4mm o-rings but I think my mag is a bit different.

The o-ring is a good fit over the mag but the ‘stub’ is fits over is quite long and butts up against the chain case rather than going through it so the o-ring wouldn’t really be doing anything.

I can fit another o-ring on the ’stub’ but that still sits down to a point where it’ll do nothing but there isn’t really enough stub after that to fit a third, it just falls out of place. Maybe one of the seals from the spares service would be a better fit for my bike?