M6 kickstart quadrant gear size

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Tim K

M6 kickstart quadrant gear size

Post by Tim K »

Hi Everyone
Now that the M6 is actually running I've realized that the kickstart quadrant that I was hoping would remain serviceable for a while won't. I'm going to have a go at repairing it before I try and find a new one. I'll be building up the worn teeth with weld and then will be having a go at re-cutting the teeth - can anyone tell me what DP the teeth are/should be :?:
Cheers
Tim K
john hood

Re: M6 kickstart quadrant gear size

Post by john hood »

Hi Tim.
I can't help with the DP of the gear, but would it be better to build up the teeth with Braze rather than weld to avoid any hard spots.
i've seen quite a few Youtube videos of gears being repaired this way.
John
Tim K

Post by Tim K »

john hood wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:11 am Hi Tim.
I can't help with the DP of the gear, but would it be better to build up the teeth with Braze rather than weld to avoid any hard spots.
i've seen quite a few Youtube videos of gears being repaired this way.
John
Hi John, I've already been down that route and the braze wasn't up to the task unfortunately. I worked out from measuring some of the less damaged areas of the quadrant that the teeth should be DP8 which would give 40 teeth on a full circle with a pitch circle of 5". At the moment I'm waiting for a local engineering company who use water cutting to get back to me with a quote. I'm sure it's going to be quite a bit more than the $40 odd that they charged me for a new clutch friction plate!
Cheers
Tim
john hood

Post by john hood »

I got a kickstart quadrant for my 1929 sunbeam. it operates on the back of the clutch in a similar way to my K8, he made that from a commercially available gear. Needed about a 3rd of it.
Just had a look online here in UK 40 tooth DP8 gears are around the £90 mark,but they all seem to have a 1 inch bore. So i would guess if you get one made for less than Aus $180 it would be cheaper, unless you have a friend with a mill and the right cutter.
Tim K

Post by Tim K »

john hood wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:24 pm I got a kickstart quadrant for my 1929 sunbeam. it operates on the back of the clutch in a similar way to my K8, he made that from a commercially available gear. Needed about a 3rd of it.
Just had a look online here in UK 40 tooth DP8 gears are around the £90 mark,but they all seem to have a 1 inch bore. So i would guess if you get one made for less than Aus $180 it would be cheaper, unless you have a friend with a mill and the right cutter.
Hi John, depending on the price quoted to have one cut locally adjusting a commercially available gear may be my next option. Where did you find the one that you mention?
Cheers
Tim
john hood

Post by john hood »

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p2008 ... _info.html
Hi Tim. Hopefully this link will give you an idea. Not sure how much postage would be to Aus though.
Good luck
John
Tim K

Post by Tim K »

john hood wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:01 pm https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p2008 ... _info.html
Hi Tim. Hopefully this link will give you an idea. Not sure how much postage would be to Aus though.
Good luck
John
Hi John
Thanks for that info. I've been given a quote for A$150 to have a quadrant water cut and they've already cut a test piece out of thin steel for me to check the mesh of the gears with the pinion at the back of the clutch. It was very good, but they're going to tweak the pressure angle for a better fit. I'll put some pictures up of the finished article when I pick it up, but I'm already thinking it's a bargain.
Cheers
Tim
john hood

Post by john hood »

Yes that does sound reasonable.
The common pressure angles seem to be 14.5 and 20 degrees.
I doubt if I could tell the difference unless I had the two meshed together.
One day I'll have a go at cutting one just to see how I get on.
John
Tim K

Post by Tim K »

Hi everyone

Here's a picture of the kickstart quadrant that a local company watercut for me. The first picture is of the quadrant as received, the second is after I'd tidied it up a bit (but not too much as it would have looked completely out of place against the rest of the bike).
IMG_3893.jpg
IMG_3896.jpg

Cheers

Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
john hood

Post by john hood »

That looks really good Tim.
I think the price was very good it would equate to less than £80 stirling, cheap in my view.
I have to find someone who is making gears for my K8 now, 2nd is shot.