Odd camshaft timing

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
clive

Re: Odd camshaft timing

Post by clive »

boris wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:42 am
Or at a push can anyone for sure say that a 1947 iron head 350 engine is not an interference engine and I could at least try it a tooth either side to see what difference each way makes without any risk of piston meeting valve.
I expect it will depend on what piston you are using. For some years I ran a wd iron head 350 with the inlet valve one tooth out from the standard valve timing as marked on the cams. It spat back if not. Was it wrongly marked or was I setting the timing too far advanced? Not sure but the motor was much more lively than the 1950 engine I now have fitted. The lighter flywheels meant better acceleration but poorer performance on hills. The motor died a death when the timing side Bush siezed on the shaft and the big end broke in half! No problem with valves hitting the piston though. If no-one else takes a photo of the cam I will see what I can do over the week end.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
clive

Post by clive »

20230730_133214.jpg
Well despite the rain got to the garage. Not sure if this is going to be helpful as there are only 13 dips between the marks on my two cams. ( they may be later cams which might explain why I had to move one tooth as described earlier). These are probably later cams and have two marks because until 52 ? for the 350 they were exhaust cams for the Matchless and inlet cams from the AJS. Once they moved the Matchless mag forward they would both have been inlet cams. There are some with 3 marks!
20230730_132927.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
boris

Post by boris »

Thanks Clive I think that will be really helpful