Striped threads on sump

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
MikeCrook

Striped threads on sump

Post by MikeCrook »

Hi,
I have stripped the threads on the sump on my G9, any suggestions please.

Also I am having problems sealing the oil feed banjo bolts , I have tried fibre and copper washers without success , any ideas please.

Thanks.
dave16mct

Re: Striped threads on sump

Post by dave16mct »

I'm not sure what to advise for the stripped sump plug. Someone must have dealt with this in the past.Not an easy place to use a tap next size up. For the banjo bolts, have you annealed the copper washers? The club do doughty washers for them.
Dave.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

I would suggest a helicoil/thread insert kit kit. Its not that hard to do.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

It may have been on here or in the Jampot a long time ago that someone helicoiled in-situ using grease and pipe cleaners to remove any swarf.
MikeCrook

Post by MikeCrook »

Thanks all much appreciated.

Regards

Mike
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

In the sump drain plug of my single I now have a Porsche sump plug which is slightly larger in diameter than the original imperial threaded plug. You will of course need to tap it out with the necessary metric sized tap. I also fitted the magnet into the new plug. Sorry I can’t give you the size of the tap etc as one of our section members worked for Porche and not only supplied the plug but the tap as well.
MikeM
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Duncan wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:55 pm It may have been on here or in the Jampot a long time ago that someone helicoiled in-situ using grease and pipe cleaners to remove any swarf.
January 2013, pages 18 and 19 (reprint of the original article in April 2006)
Corners like a Lego man
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

If you want to Helicoil or just re-tap with the next size (perhaps a metric one will be best as you can get metric sump bolt plugs easily in various sizes) I have a method: Get a length of rag cut into a couple of inches strip, perhaps about a foot or so long. Then smother the rag in Lithium grease or the like all over its surface. Then push in the rag into the sump hole making sure the rag has assembled in a big blockage above the hole. The thread work can then proceed. When finished use thin nose pliers and gently remove the stuffed in rag. All the cutting debris that might have gone upwards will be attached to the grease on the rag, apart from the rag blocking the ingress to start with. Check with bent greasy pipe cleaner for anything left. HOWEVER: The first thing to check is: Is there enough room above the sump hole inside the case for a tap to enter to cut the new thread?
McBob

Post by McBob »

Here is the link to the clubs dowty washers, I also use the appropriate dowty washers for the sump, oil tank and fuel taps
https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... duct=23772