Burman gearbox oil leak.

Information relating to the Matchless G9 or AJS Model 20 500cc twin
RodneyK

Burman gearbox oil leak.

Post by RodneyK »

As part of my first start up procedure I went to fill my “refurbished” B52 gearbox with oil. To my dismay, it ran out on to the floor as fast as I poured it in. I identified a hole that runs through the back of the kick starter case that is completely open to the outside. The photo shows the hole with a nail resting in it. My exploded diagram does not show a hole there but the case behind it seems to show an alignment stud that could fit in it. Part 35-3-2. Is there a way to seal this hole without dismantling the whole gearbox? There might be clearance to just but a bolt through it? Or am I missing something here?

I mentioned this in a reply to my last post but should have created a new topic. Still learning to use this site. Your help is critical in completing my project. Thanks for your advice as I work to get this old bike started.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
g80csp11

Re: Burman gearbox oil leak.

Post by g80csp11 »

are you sure its not a missing fixing ( screw ) , threaded in the inner case , only explanation for through hole
manual says 3 screws holding kickstart case (inner housing ) in place - page 84
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... .NEILL.pdf

or as next post says a dowel - page 18
Pin Dowel , locating kickstarter case on gear box shell -35-3-2 ( well spotted Poul)

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf
Last edited by g80csp11 on Tue May 02, 2023 5:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

You need a pin, dowel in the main case ptn. 35-3-2
Poul
David1977

Post by David1977 »

Hello Rodney ,You can watch my video on my chanel . Perhaps it will help you. You can move it to 7:40 minutes to see what is right. I am sorry for the music .
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I use dynolite semi-fluid grease in my Burman gearbox. Really reduced the leakage.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
RodneyK

Post by RodneyK »

The hole was not threaded so I assumed some sort of alignment pin was missing. The thing is, can I just drive it in through both cases or do I have to separate them? And what holds it in there? Just friction? Thanks for everything so far.
Rodney
RodneyK

Post by RodneyK »

Also, the part 35-3-2 does not seem to be available from my usual sources so I will have to fabricate it. Does anyone have the specs? And, as per above, can I just drive it in? With gasket cement?
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

My understanding is that it is just a short dowel that is a tight/interference fit in the inner case and a sliding fit in the outer case to ensure alignment, I believe the dowel is the same diameter along its length and it is the holes in the casings that differ in diameter.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Duncan wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:57 pm My understanding is that it is just a short dowel that is a tight/interference fit in the inner case and a sliding fit in the outer case .
In which case you might already have a spare bolt where the unthreaded part of its shank is the right diameter and will just need cutting to length.

The B52 was used on Vincents, BSA's and Ariels but with a different part number.....
Dowel 35-3-2 conversion.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'