Contact Breaker Wiring

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Huw.Williams

Contact Breaker Wiring

Post by Huw.Williams »

How does the black and white cable from the coil connect to the contact breaker?

So I'm recommissioning a 1959 Model 18 with coil ignition which has been stood for a long time. I connected a new battery and the lights and horn etc work great. It had a weak spark, so I thought I'd clean the points and now I have no spark at all! The black and white cable from the coil was hanging on by a thread, so I've cut back and rejoined the connector. I can't find anywhere explaining how the B/W cable from the coil, the condenser cable and the spring for the points connect with regards to the little plastic washers?

From the outside in does it go Nut, plastic washer, coil cable, condenser cable, points spring, plastic washer and then base plate? Is the plastic washer meant to prevent the cables from touching the small bolt? Thanks in advance. Huw.
20230423_184821.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joker_Bones

Re: Contact Breaker Wiring

Post by Joker_Bones »

IMG_20220319_105410.jpg
That's how they are set up on mine...
Seems logical, the wire from the coil is joined to condenser and one side of the contact breaker. The other side of the contact breaker is connected to earth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.