Knee pads - 1961 M31

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Anders Welle

Knee pads - 1961 M31

Post by Anders Welle »

I purchased new chrome panels and knee rubbers form Jampot Spares. I have the original steel plates, bolts and spacers.
Also I have the original (gone hard) rubbers and rusty panels but will not use them. The spares list include some washers, but where do they go?

So I tried to fit one side to my tank, and the gap between steel plate and tank is too close along the bottom edge to accomodate the rubber lip, also along the upper edge the gap is too wide. Spacing the plate out will make the top gap worse. I can not see how to fix this. The steel plate seems undamaged, and will not be easy to reshape given the recesses for the bolts. Surely new pattern steel plates will be the same?

With some washers I spaced out the plate in order to try the fit of my rubbers and even with hot water and lubricant I realise that pulling the rubber onto the steel plate will be very challenging. Do I use some sort of pulling tool to get a grip on the rubber lip? I could make up something I guess. Following previous Forum threads I see people recommend the expensive but quality rubbers from AMC spares. Is this about shape and fit against the chrome panel, or is the flexibility of these rubbers better so easier to fit on the steel plates? The ones I have seem same shape as the hardened originals. But if I can't get them on I will happily spend the 60 GBP.

I use a dented reserve tank to try fitting the bits onto, and meanwhile my beautiful newly painted blue other tank awaits until I have this sorted.
Anders Welle
Steven S

Re: Knee pads - 1961 M31

Post by Steven S »

The cheap rubbers have never fitted properly. Pattern plates will make no difference. The difference in price is due to the fact that the 'expensive' ones are British-made and use proper, supple rubber. Very much a case of you get what you pay for. They fit like the originals.
ajscomboman

Re: Knee pads - 1961 M31

Post by ajscomboman »

I have tried on numerous occasions to try and get some better quality ones from Jeff Hunter Engineering but they never bothered to reply.