fuel catalyst

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
tankslapper

fuel catalyst

Post by tankslapper »

Hello,
my first post here.

I bought a G3LS last summer (holiday romance, literally) my first British bike since 1986 (Triumph T140V) I've always had bikes but mostly Jap and Italian since then, oh yes and one German.
So the poor Matchless has ended up with me and it'll get summer only use and mostly on my own as the Mrs isn't happy on the back of such a small bike.

So if anyone could advise me, I've bought a fuel catalyst from ebay and it suggests that it will assist with all sorts of issues relating to bikes that are not used daily / laid up for the winter months. I've not put this item in the fuel tank yet but I just wondered if anyone had any experience with these?
Or should I have just stuck with the fuel additive that is easily available ?

many thanks,

Anthony
SPRIDDLER

Re: fuel catalyst

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the Forums, Anthony.
I've used my 1954 G3LS hard without any issues for more than 26,000 miles in 5 years on normal pump fuel without using any additives at all. It was said that unleaded fuel would cause valve seat recession but mine has the original valve seats and I don't know of anyone who has had a problem with theirs.
I think some use additives so maybe they'll be along to comment.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

hi Anthony ;
cant really give you any true technical information but i do have these products in all my bikes and in my diesel landrover .
i really bought them on the basis that if they stop my fuel system parts from rotting out or going off then it was a viable purchase .

so far i have left fuel in my bikes all over the winter periods and i can run them up fine any time i do it , fuel seems to be ok .

all bikes seem to run ok on whatever fuel i put into them .

i do occasionally put octane booster in or a bit of redex or even a teaspoon of castrol R .

my freinds father worked on seafire planes in ww2 and he told him that they had these type of products fitted in the fuel lines of the planes .

i know that on my boats outboard it has a sacrificial anode made of similar material and that is used to stop elctrolytic action corrosion to the engine .

well, if all the "catalyst" does is to dissolve over the years or simply slide around the tank wiping the inside clean , it would have done something for its money .

i dont have a lot of money but my thought was that for £7.50 or so in each tank i may as well stick a fuel diamond in , after all i am only too happy to put 2 gallons of expensive petrol in my tank and go burn it up somewhere for fun , so why not .

cheers
ian
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Love the smell of R but as someone who has had to sort out the mess it can leave don’t do it unless it’s a engine that gets stripped down regularly.
Ralph

jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

I have never used the stuff and most of my bikes seem to start up fine each year. I think it is more of an issue across the pond where winter temps go up and down by some margin.

Fuel does go off but only if its left to the open air. Normally just add some fresh in once I get out and about and then its fine.

I remember people going on about vavle seats being burnt out, my logic when that happens I just get the new seats put in. Not had to do any of that yet. Though I must admit I am concerned about the new E10 and my old BMW with its plastic 35ltr tank.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

jackstringer wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:25 pm I have never used the stuff and most of my bikes seem to start up fine each year. I think it is more of an issue across the pond where winter temps go up and down by some margin.

Fuel does go off but only if its left to the open air. Normally just add some fresh in once I get out and about and then its fine.

I remember people going on about vavle seats being burnt out, my logic when that happens I just get the new seats put in. Not had to do any of that yet. Though I must admit I am concerned about the new E10 and my old BMW with its plastic 35ltr tank.
Is 35litres a typo, that's almost 8 gallons :o

Edit: is it a car or a bike?
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Could be a Hoske tank - 8-12 gallon versions available, usually steel or ali (though that may be US gallons)
Only an old BMW is reliable and comfortable enough to use it all in one sitting :D
BMW Hoske tank.jpg
Steve (wot loves his three BMW's ;) - that one's not mine. My R60 has the standard tank )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

https://blog.jackstringer.co.uk/wp-cont ... 135449.jpg

R100GS PD.

If I bought the aftermarket HPN tank it would go up to 43ltrs.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Perfection! :)

Steve
clive

Post by clive »

I wonder if they provided any evidence? "I've bought a fuel catalyst from ebay and it suggests that it will assist with all sorts of issues relating to bikes that are not used daily / laid up for the winter months." I have asked people at shows selling them how they work and they cannot say. Personally i think they are all smoke and mirrors.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix