Threads, taps and dies 1956 G80S

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
56G80S

Threads, taps and dies 1956 G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Hi, lots of searches done, spreadsheet compiled and as I work in OpenOffice, saved as .xls Excel file. System won't upload it, says "invalid file extension" although it does open in Excel.

I've exported it as a PDF and attached it.

For some reason I haven't included the part numbers, probably will at a later date, but just wanted views on where the errora are. I was thinking of splashing out and getting the items marked in red, mostly completing the die side of what my Mum left me.

It'll be mainly for tidying up not cutting new.

Johnny B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spookefoote1956

Re: Threads, taps and dies 1956 G80S

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Nice one Johnny. Very handy
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Thanks, Chris.

I've been round to the Matchless, did some parts cleaning, re-fitted the blanking screws into the crankcases. Naughty but put Welseal on the last couple of threads and new fibre washers.

Took a copy of the PDF and found it useless. I got home and re-examined the parts list and saw the reference to the "Frame" section. Things become clearer. So I'll add in the ones from that section. However, the lengths of the studs don't properly match what is in the spreadsheet/parts list but at least they are proper parts and nearly match, no more than 1/16" difference. One in particular is clearly a rogue and I wondered why, a long time ago, I had trouble with it. Both ends are roughly hacksaw cut and one of the nuts won't fit my BS spanners, or metric or AF. What's more it is rammed so hard to the end of the thread that it is immovable (King Dick adjustable). So I'll have to recheck which position it is for, the length and order it. Tempted to buy a set.

I think I'll have to understand the terms - front, top etc. better and trial fit. I want to remember which studs can be in place before putting the bottom half back in - OR - have someone tell me! Ken de Groome reminded me about the one at the bottom that if you forget to put it in first , it's impossible to fit otherwise. The bolt, behind the oil pipe unions, is already in place. He also emphasised that I need to keep some other studs in place to hold the sealed up cases together, not take everything out at once.

Johnny B
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Closing this off, I did some searching through stuff I'd downloaded previously and found a file:

Singles_engine_mounts_studs_spacers_1946-1964. I must've got it from Christian's archives but it has natty little diagrams of a crankcase and engine plates for lots of different years / models complete with dimensions.

Sad lad, I have converted the stud lengths to mm so I can just use the digital vernier to measure up lengths / diameters and see what I'm missing. The vernier only does mm and inches in tenths, hundreds and thousands.

All good now.

Johnny B