Yamahaha XJ600S passes MoT

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Yamahaha XJ600S passes MoT

Post by 56G80S »

Well, with re-assembly of the Matchless to commence once past chemotherapy, probably end of April at the latest, I think I'll be selling the Yamahaha.

MoT was due soon anyhow and now it has a 12 month ticket, the weather starting to warm up and I've had a clearer warning that the lock-up will be ending at the end of September.......................

it'll be one less thing to have to house. It'll also make space to get at the other stuff that needs selling / throwing away (mostly the latter).

Shame, as it runs very nicely. I'm second owner and only just turned 19k.

JohnnyB
SPRIDDLER

Re: Yamahaha XJ600S passes MoT

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Good on yer, John.
The MOT on my modern 250cc Chinese 'Mutchless' expired last November, since when it has either been too wet or too cold to motivate me to ride it, or the occasional decent days haven't coincided with a convenient time available to get an MOT done. In truth, I'm not a 'Biker' and I get so little pleasure from riding a modern machine that the potential risks (at 78 yrs old) aren't justified. I did use it camping in France a couple of times and to ride to and tour the Picos mountains in Spain but tbh it was just 'transport' and next time I'd prefer to go by comfortable car or with my motorhome.
Mutchless Resized.JPG
Chums with multiple old bikes always seem to have a couple or all of them off the road as when each one needs something sorting it gets put back to the back of the shed and they use another one. Those with just one bike seem to always have it ready for action, (unless there's been a rare catastrophic failure).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

"unless there's been a rare catastrophic failure"

Neville, that's the nail on the head following Hampshire Jampot! Head refurbished (oversize exhaust guide, new exhaust seat, inlet guide etc), the relined barrel now at +20 with new piston, new (also oversize) crankpin, small end bush, both axles and, of course, drive side mains and timing side bush.

Many other jobs done with many still to do but they'll wait until I've re-assembled and found a new home for the Matchless; I made the mistake of moving dismantled machine once before. As Dad used to say, anyone makes mistakes but only a fool makes the same mistake twice.

I confess that after the MoT, as the weather was reasonable, I had a little run out down to Helmsley. Only 40 miles round trip but it was just so nice to be on two wheels again. The Yamahaha tops out just about 110mph (indicated) and apparently 0-60 in a tad under 5 seconds - but that doesn't mean you have to do it all the time and it takes top gear comfortably down to 30mph.

Not to mention first trip with the stoma pouch and all OK. The Yamahaha is significantly heavier than the Matchless (round figures 470lbs vs 410lbs?) and that's a factor too as I'm not supposed to be putting any strain on the stoma.

There's a temptation to consider an "AMC" group two stroke! Might be a tall order for rallies.

JohnnyB
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Hope to see you back on the Matchless one day,John!! A friend in the Norton owners club has a stoma bag and does remarkable well on his es2 norton!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Yamaha sold to a pal for the reserve price I was going to put it on Ebay with. It's a bargain . He'll be the third owner and it's mileage at less the 20K.

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:05 am Yamaha sold to a pal for the reserve price I was going to put it on Ebay with. It's a bargain . He'll be the third owner and it's mileage at less the 20K.

Johnny B
You didn't keep that for long, John. I'm always surprised at how reasonably priced are quite modern low mileage bikes.
My Mutchless MOT expired end November but I'm only just getting around to taking it in as until recently the weather has been rubbish; too ruddy cold and and loads of rain (down here it was the wettest winter for 60 years) so not my sort of 'biking' weather. It hasn't been worth struggling into all my wet weather gear (one handed) to ride it 3 miles through water-filled invisible potholes to the the garage and I've done all the heroic foul weather and winter riding that I didn't want to do.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'