Nut size please!

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
G3L1946

Nut size please!

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi all,

Can some kind contributor please confirm the nut specifications for the carburettor to cylinder studs please. G3LS 1955.I’ve been advised to use nylon locking nuts with my new Amal carburettor. I was going to use the old nuts with some thread lock but better do as I’m told!

Thanks in anticipation,

Steve
ajscomboman

Re: Nut size please!

Post by ajscomboman »

5/16 cycle thread, I'd not waste your money. Never used nyloc before and not had any come loose. If you wish low strength thread compound will do. I also like to fit reduced hex if possible give a bit more spanner clearance.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi again,

The new carburettor has an O ring whereas the old 376/5 did not. I suppose that as you mustn’t over tighten the nuts with an O ring in place so just added security. Took advice and didn’t bother messing about with trying to service the old carburettor, too many worn parts. Will keep it as a spare or paper weight! Thanks for info and advice. Appreciated.

Steve
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Correct, just nip them up enough to hold.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ajscomboman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:56 pm Correct, just nip them up enough to hold.
Many years ago we met up with a Surrey member at Dover on her WD Matchless before taking the ferry to a foreign Jampot rally. Although it had run fine for the 80 miles to Dover she couldn't restart it. We found one nut missing from the carb securing studs and the other one about to fall off. It had been only the intake suction keeping it on.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Thread lock it is then!
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

+1 for Rob's advice. The nyloc may disguise how much the nut is being tightened? Too much and and result is poor seal with face of the new carb distorted. Don't ask how I know.

Aren't the nuts the same as those on the front fork end caps? Someone will know.

JohnnyB
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi JohnnyB,

The installation instructions state that ‘ Nyloc nuts should always be used to mount Amal MK 1 carburettors’. As this applies to MK1 variants, which I believe are concentric carburettors, this requirement may not apply to the 376 or monobloc series. Something to do with bowl position? Decided to just apply a bit of thread lock to the studs and nip up. Carburettor types is not my strongest point!

Steve
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

I'm not a great fan of thread lock, I prefer lockwire. But that is because I dealt with bikes at the Manx GP.

I have never had the nuts on the carb come loose but that maybe becuase I can tighten them sufficiently to avoid them coming loose but not so tight to cause damage.

Nylock are ok, and there are other options available.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi, I considered using split or helical washers but am concerned that damage to the flange may be caused. I understand, that under vibration, such washers have actually contributed to loosening a nut! If I had a torque setting, that might help but probably going a bit too far. As discussed, nip it up, tadge extra, then that should do it. My original idea of a Nylock nut has been binned.
Lock wire a good option but, unfortunately, not in this scenario.

Steve