Easy starting 'how to'

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
uktom77

Easy starting 'how to'

Post by uktom77 »

Right, what are your go to, tried and trusted methods/tweaks etc. to getting your single to start easily?
Why do you ask? Well the gear is in the machine cleaning the sweat out of it. A friend and I went for a ride yesterday (both on '52 18s') and both spent a ridiculous amount of time kicking them over. Let's presume we both have a good technique and the mags/timing are fine and dandy.

What have you done to save your knees?
clive

Re: Easy starting 'how to'

Post by clive »

my method, flood the carb until the finger on the tickler is just wet. Slight retardation of the ignition. (cannot help with choke as I don't have them fitted!) Then bring up to compression, return kickstart to the top and using decompressor push the kickstart about half its travel. Bring the kickstart back up and give it a good swing.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Thanks Clive, that's pretty much my technique too (maybe don't take it so far over compression, worth a try). Works a treat on 350's seems the 500's are a bit more of a struggle.

I've never played around with jetting. Anyone had any success changing jet size to improve starting?
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Not changing the jetting, but...

For a cold start, turn in the throttle stop screw about half a turn for what would be a pretty fast idle.

Then as Clive's description...

Leaving the throttle twist grip fully closed and no choke.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

uktom77 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:23 pm I've never played around with jetting. Anyone had any success changing jet size to improve starting?
Maybe the pilot jet or the pilot jet drillings are a bit gummed up as they (and to a lesser extent the slide cutaway) are the feed for up to around half throttle until the main jet comes into action. I seemed to have a gummy/obstructed pilot jet more often after ethanol was introduced.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Good point Spriddler, might be worth running it all through the ultrasonic and taking my time to make a note of what I'm running (jets and cutaway).

Post by 1608 »

My knees don't like kicking a cold bike over any more so I,m building a paddock roller starter. If I only had one bike I,d probably convert to a fitted lecky starter, but can't afford three! Warm engines are no problem.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

It helps to talk nicely to them too. As we all know, they all have their own personal preferences and personalities, and some of them can be a bit 'precious'. Or is that just my 650 twin?

Malc
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

MalcW wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:35 am It helps to talk nicely to them too. As we all know, they all have their own personal preferences and personalities, and some of them can be a bit 'precious'. Or is that just my 650 twin?

Malc
Don't anthropomorphise your bike, it doesn't like it.

Mine the other day started the first kick. Ticked over happily. I grabbed a helmet. I managed less than 50m before it coughed and died. Then refused to start. I think it's taken a dislike to something electrical but not been in the mood to work out what it could be yet. I have DIY throttle cable kit from Venhill to try and fit first as a peace offering.