1958 AJS 16MS - Carburettor Refurbish kit

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Ian Heaton

1958 AJS 16MS - Carburettor Refurbish kit

Post by Ian Heaton »

A very good afternoon to all!
I am a complete newbie in mororcycle restoring, although I have had motorcycles for almost 50 years.
Could I have some advice please? I am picking up an AJS Model 16MS from Andrew at the Kettering facility in just over a week. I am informed that the bike last ran about a year ago and will need the carburettor refurbished. I hav e seen the following on the parts site : RK6/1 276 Carburettor Gasket Kit. Would this be suitable for my bike?
Many thanks in advance
Ian
Based on the West Coast of Scotland)
SPRIDDLER

Re: 1958 AJS 16MS - Carburettor Refurbish kit

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ian Heaton wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:46 pm A very good afternoon to all!
I am a complete newbie in mororcycle restoring, although I have had motorcycles for almost 50 years.
Could I have some advice please? I am picking up an AJS Model 16MS from Andrew at the Kettering facility in just over a week. I am informed that the bike last ran about a year ago and will need the carburettor refurbished. I hav e seen the following on the parts site : RK6/1 276 Carburettor Gasket Kit. Would this be suitable for my bike?
Many thanks in advance
Ian
Based on the West Coast of Scotland)
Welcome, Ian.
To be absolutely sure you'll need to confirm the carb type. It 'should' be an AMAL Monobloc.
If you haven't seen it, masses of info, specifications, factory manuals, techy articles and much more in the website known as Christians Archive. They are here under 'Books'

http://archives.jampot.dk/

In the Workshop Manual it's shown on page 9 as an AMAL type 376/5 with a bore of 1 1/16" (one inch and one sixteenth).
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Ian Heaton

Post by Ian Heaton »

Hi Speddler. Many thanks - great and useful information.
Am really looking forward to getting my hands dirty on the bike!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ian Heaton wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:00 pm Hi Speddler. Many thanks - great and useful information.
Am really looking forward to getting my hands dirty on the bike!
You don't mention the level of 'refurbishment' needed but you can get a repair kit of gaskets and washers from Hitchcocks for 6 quid plus P&P. Strangely, just the repair kit isn't listed on the club spares site under 'Carburettor' or 'Kits' but only a 'Major repair kit' (RKC/376MS) at around 60 quid (gulp) which you may not need.
See here:

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycl ... ges%2F3365#

P.S. It's some drive to Kettering for you so I hope the weather's O.K.
Ian Heaton

Post by Ian Heaton »

I hope the weather is kind too.
In terms of refurbishment my plan (at present - without even seeing the bike) is restore her completely - probably a frame up rebuild.
Really do appreciate all your advice. Once I get the bike home and in the workshop I can assess what is needed and contact Hitchcocks for the gaskets kit.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I'm sure you'll get any help you need from the Forum.
You've evidently been around bikes for a long time but I'll suggest anyway that if you do strip it right down take loads of photos beforehand and as you go, especially the position of engine/frame spacers, brackets and fittings. Photos also help a lot when looking for assistance on here.
I wonder if you'll be sufficiently disciplined to strip it down after you've had a test ride back home............ ;)
Ian Heaton

Post by Ian Heaton »

I think I'll be able to enjoy a timely restoration. I've got my Indian and love that. Still only got 750 miles on it!
Andy.S

Post by Andy.S »

Club spares list RKC/499 FULL GASKET SET FOR 376 MONOBLOC CARBURETTOR £3.62 INC VAT plus P&P
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Andy.S wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:52 pm Club spares list RKC/499 FULL GASKET SET FOR 376 MONOBLOC CARBURETTOR £3.62 INC VAT plus P&P
Ta, Andy.
I didn't see that as I looked under 'Carburettor' then 'Jets, Spares and Kits' where it doesn't appear but only the gasket kit for the 276 appears there.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Just be aware parts are 60+ years old and they do wear especially the slide.
I travelled to Salisbury last week and bought a brand new carb for my AJay single from Amal, ( it’s next door to where this years Jampot takes place, I saw the plane)
Big difference and improvement on the old carb.
Good Luck on your restore, one of the best clubs for help in my humble opinion….
Mike