Crankshaft shock absorber

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Joker_Bones

Re: Crankshaft shock absorber

Post by Joker_Bones »

20211211_180021.jpg
Drive axle on alternator M16... Only splined at the sprocket end, plain shaft with keyway for rotor
20190528_145621.jpg
Drive axle on shock absorber M16... Splined up to threaded end for cam
Is the opening photo just foreshortening things, the cam is in the out position, the spring goes over the the shoulder on the cam, the nut sits semi inside the spring in a cup washer?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris2023

Post by Chris2023 »

I too have a '52 500, and have started cleaning up 70 years of greasy road grime. I've discovered my spring is broken, so when I get a replacement, your "exploded view" pictures will be very helpful! Thank you for them!
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

That gearbox adjuster behind the primary drive looks as though it will be fun to adjust. Nice clean tidy job though. The swing arm cap is on the wrong side as well, you'd never be able to top up the reservoir when the chaincase is on.
nortom

Post by nortom »

It's like this: I bought a machine a few years ago. It was complete, but not all put together. It's a '52 twin frame with a '54 G80 S engine and Burman GB gearbox, early CP clutch and thin primary chaincase.
The shock absorber is complete with spring, washer and nut. But the full function was not clear to me...
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Loving it Bonsie. The engine mount plates are most interesting. Are they custom made? Is the frame girling? The reason for the question is that I'm doing the Lecky Leg project and plates without the dynamo hole would be perfect. I'm hoping to create CAD files for folks who want to do their own conversion so if there's a particular year for that plate please let me know so I can look it up.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

nortom wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:40 pm But the full function was not clear to me...
I've never known whether it is possible for the peaks of ramps on the cam and sprocket to actually ride right over each other... Whether the spring would bottom out before that happens or whether it just relies on strength of the spring to stop it happening?
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

ajscomboman wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:32 pm That gearbox adjuster behind the primary drive looks as though it will be fun to adjust. Nice clean tidy job though. The swing arm cap is on the wrong side as well, you'd never be able to top up the reservoir when the chaincase is on.
It's easy enuff before the inner primary case is fitted, Hmmm... Catch 22 🤔

It's not so much that it's on the wrong side, rather that while making them I drilled the filler plug holes in both of them without thinking ??

Well spotted... Can you spot my mistake on the bike in the other photo?
clive

Post by clive »

Joker_Bones wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:28 pm ... Can you spot my mistake on the bike in the other photo?
missing square hole for the footrests in the engine plates?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

clive wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:32 pm missing square hole for the footrests in the engine plates?
Ohhhh... Another good spot, but... No. 🙂

I fitted over the frame folding type footpegs, so didn't need a square stud.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I can spot a washer on the inside of the engine plate, never seen that before? The gear box top bolt I thought went the other way round unless you've used the stud which should be the bottom fixing and a bolt through the engine plates on the rear down tube? All minor.